very few post asking for help with Mandriva 2009 Gnome

Discussion in 'Linux' started by donec, Nov 14, 2008.

1. donec

RockDoctor

Just trying to have a little fun. Actually, my current favorite desktop for the AA1 is Ubuntu with a slightly modified LXDE desktop. Biggest problem with LXDE (at least with Ubuntu and Fedora) is no working network manager; configuring networking manually is definitely not something Linux newbies to have to suffer through.

It would be interesting to take stock installs of the latest Fedora, Mandriva, Suse, Ubuntu, etc... installs and see how much tweaking each required to get everything that can be made to work actually working. My gut feeling is that they'd all be pretty similar, but I'd be happy if proven wrong.

RockDoctor, Nov 15, 2008
  2. donec

Scott23

[/quote:300nr776]

Could you help me and let me know how you can save this additions? When I add them to the files you mention it tells me I don't have permission to alter them when I try to save but I can't see the option to login as root when I alter them.

Cheers

Scott23, Nov 16, 2008
  3. donec

scottro

Open whatever text editor you use with sudo.
    For example, if you were using vi

sudo vi /etc/modprobe.conf

scottro, Nov 16, 2008
  4. donec

Tamrac

Your gut feeling is wrong. Mandriva only requires those 2 tweaks mentioned above. Everything else works out of the box. While others like Ubuntu requires a long list of terminal commands to get things to work, and even so it still has issues.

Tamrac, Nov 16, 2008
  5. donec

Scott23

Cheers Scottro.

I have found mandriva 2009 to work straight out of the box BUT.....the web browser is very slow and jerky for some reason (using firefox 3) to the point that things like iplayer on the bbc just don't work well at all (jerky motion and most times it is frame by frame every half a second). This is disappointing as the Acer Aspire One is a netbook and so the web browser experience should be good. It is strange that firefox 3 runs worse than firefox 2 to the point where I am tempted to try to go back to 2 to see if this would make things any better.

Is anyone else finding this or am I doing something silly with my setup of mandriva 2009?

Scott23, Nov 16, 2008
  6. donec

Tamrac

Firefox 3 works flawlessly on mine... It took me 3x to install Mandriva 2009 to get to the setup I wanted. 1st time I had no idea what I'm doing. 2nd time is a charm, but I wanted to reinstall using EXT2, hence the 3rd try.... The main thing I noticed is that it's more reliable to install Mandriva using the wired LAN instead of the wifi. You can switch to the wifi afterwards after everything is done.

Tamrac, Nov 16, 2008
  7. donec

Reno

And it should be added that SCO was only able to afford to sue thanks to the cash injection that Microsoft provided them with. :) Thankfully SCO failed.

Incredible!!! If SCO had succeeded then that's what the world would be like if Hitler had won the war. Almost the same thing as when Starbucks convinced people to pay five bucks for a cup of Jo.

Fighting the good fight against the Imperial forces.

Reno, Nov 16, 2008
  8. donec

Scott23

What RAM amount do you have tamrac? I set it up as standard on mine and I have 1gb ram with the 120gb HDD so no reason for it to run slowly. The biggest problem for me is that BBC iPlayer runs so jerkily - not sure why? It runs perfectly on Linpus lite with firefox 2 so have no idea why??

Scott23, Nov 16, 2008
Ask a Question