VERY IMPORTANT ADVICE!! WIFI CARD FIX!!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Lincoln, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Lincoln

Lincoln

this might need to be sticked by a moderator.

i recently purchased an aspire one aoa150 and was only disappointed by one thing, the slowness and unreliability of the wifi card, i searched this forum and everyone seems to say replace it. DO NOT REPLACE! I HAVE A SIMPLE SOLUTION!

the following steps made my internet about 3 times faster.

1. go to control panel and click network connections, then right click wireless network connection and select properties.
    2. a window should pop up, under the General tab youll see at the top of the window it says "connect using" and then it list what wifi card you have, in my case the atheros ar5007eg. click configure.
    3.go to the advance tab and select power save mode from the list
    4. change value to off, this did not drain my battery anymore than having your screen on its brightest setting would.

you should notice immediately a much faster internet.

thanks and enjoy!

Lincoln, Jun 8, 2009
  2. Lincoln

sdelliott31

Good post. However, this has been mentioned in other threads. :) But its a good reminder

sdelliott31, Jun 8, 2009
  3. Lincoln

wozofoz

Some people report success with this but others, like me, don't see a great deal of difference if any.
    I rely exclusively on public or hotel type WiFi and it is usually not a strong signal or fast connection at the best of times so maybe this has something to do with the difference of opinion.
    I really don't know anything about this stuff, just speculating
    Still, I have left it at OFF, why not eh :)

I have updated from the Atheros AR5007EG v 7.6.0.224 that came with the AAO to v 7.6.0.260 and it seems good, maybe even better. I can't remember where I personally downloaded it from but it is easy to find.

Has anyone installed Atheros AR5007EG v 7.6.0.264 (updated 16 January 09)
    It is available for download @
    ftp://ftp.acer-euro.com/netbook/aspire_one_150/

I am just wondering because I haven't read any 'exciting' news about v 7.6.0.264, well no news actually exciting or otherwise, so it makes me wonder if I should even bother since v 7.6.0.260 is running sweet.

Again I must say that by using public WiFi, and all the variables that come with that, it is hard for me to judge improvement.

All the best, woz of oz

wozofoz, Jun 8, 2009
  4. Lincoln

ddddyyyy

I agree with Lincoln

NO SPAMMING HERE!

ddddyyyy, Jun 12, 2009
  5. Lincoln

Tamrac

This is nothing new... been posted dozens of times before.

You sure you searched this forum? The "power save" mode tweak on the wifi card of AAO is one of the OLDEST tweak there is on the Aspire One. I did this about a week after I got my AAO, w/c was August of 2008. Cheers. ;)

EDIT:

Check out this post dated July 2008.... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57&p=3856&hilit=wifi+power+save#p3856

Tamrac, Jun 12, 2009
  6. Lincoln

Lincoln

well maybe i suck at searching, still, its not a bad thing to have this thread in the more recent ones because a lot of people are thinking to switch the wifi card out

Lincoln, Jun 12, 2009
  7. Lincoln

hansi1

I tried this on my Aspire One, didn't really notice any difference, but when I re-booted, the wi-fi card went back to the original settings.

hansi1, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question