VGA Output resolution

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by freestyle, Jun 26, 2008.

1. freestyle

freestyle

Don't suppose if anyone knows if the vga output resolution is changeable or locked at 1024x600?

freestyle, Jun 26, 2008
  2. freestyle

KiNG

its surely can do higher than that for output res

in the intel spec sheet below for the chipset, it says supports HDTV TV support :D
    so whether this is 1366x768, it could be.... i doubt it would be 1080p but u never know :mrgreen:
    However this could be a setting limted to acers linpus output settings in the graphic control panel,
    im guessing if using windows xp, you can always download a 3rd party software to force it to the output resolution you want anyhow.

Internal Graphics
    • 166-MHz core render clock and 200 MHz core display clock at 1.05-V core voltage only
    • Support for only one SDVO port
    • SDVO slot reversal not supported
    • Support for dual-channel LVDS resolutions up to UXGA
    • Support for CRT resolutions up to QXGA
    • TV support for HDTV

KiNG, Jun 30, 2008
  3. freestyle

ricardo

With linux you can also change the resolution enabling higher values in the the xorg.conf file (if not already enabled) and switching between the resolutions using xrandr or simply 'ctrl alt +' and 'ctrl alt -'.

ricardo, Jul 3, 2008
  4. freestyle

freestyle

Cheers guys

1366x768 (or 1360x768) is the highest i would be interested in.

freestyle, Jul 3, 2008
  5. freestyle

B3n3v3nt3

It will do that resolution with no problems. The GPU chipset is the same of MSI Wind (intel 945GSE) and it works :)

B3n3v3nt3, Jul 6, 2008
  6. freestyle

Duke

The Intel GMA 950 can display up tp 2048x1536 but I don't know if the "One" can handle it?

Duke, Jul 8, 2008
  7. freestyle

jeromlenz

Under Linpus Linux when plugging a 1280*1024 screen I can only replicate the desktop (few "Display" options)...
    With crap resolution of 1024*600 - not nice.
    Maybe by downloading some advanced package for multi-display and using 2 different desktops instead of replicating the same (will look into it).

Need also to try in OS-X for better results (and winXP most probably as well).

jeromlenz, Jul 18, 2008
  8. freestyle

lodanap

Have anyone experienced any flickering with VGA output? I'm trying to hook up One with my pt-ax100 projector (vga-vga), but the picture keeps flickering no matter what resolution or refresh rate I use.
    Same projector works with my dell laptop just fine.

lodanap, Jul 31, 2008
  9. freestyle

lodanap

This has something to do with the refresh rate, because when I change it, the flickering speed also changes.... Any ideas?

lodanap, Jul 31, 2008
  10. freestyle

eek

VGA output is pretty much the only reason why the ONE, and any other sub-notebook for that matter, can properly replace regular desk/lap-tops.

So please tell me that Linpus Linux is able to do this, either out of the box or after installing drivers/updates/etc... I was going to place the order tonight, but starting to doubt it after reading this thread... :cry:

eek, Aug 1, 2008
  11. freestyle

blahde

blahde, Aug 1, 2008
  12. freestyle

lodanap

SOLVED. My VGA cable was just too long (10m) for One... with shorter cable works just fine.

lodanap, Aug 1, 2008
  13. freestyle

mzc

Hi everyone,

I was reading four threads regarding external VGA output. I have referred this issue with people at Linpus, it seems that Acer has classified this issue as non-critical, which is why it's not resolved until now. And, they would probably consider it as an immediate concern if more people would complaint about it.

mzc

mzc, Sep 10, 2008
  14. freestyle

anagramster

Here is what I did on the Linpus version to get 1080p display on my TV:

1) click "My Documents"
    2) enter "/etc/X11" in the top field and hit the Enter key.
    3) right-click on the xorg.conf file
    4) select "Open with Mousepad"
    5) Ctrl-F (or in the menus: Search -> Find)
    6) enter "virtual" and hit Enter key
    7) change that line from "Virtual 1024 768" to "Virtual 1920 1080"
    8) change the line above from
    .....Modes "1024x600" "800x600" "640x480"
    .....to:
    .....Modes "1920x1080" "1024x600" "800x600" "640x480"
    9) File -> Save
    10) click the power icon in the lower right corner of your display and click "Restart".
    11) after reboot, wait about a minute, then hold the "Fn" key and hit the "F5" key twice, but not too fast- maybe 1 to 2 seconds apart.

I also got the Gear Head KB5500W wireless keyboard and mouse kit which just worked out of the box.

Now I have a gorgeous 42" computer monitor at 1920x1080 for my little One.
    Very very happy.

If you have any problems, hit Fn-F5 once more to cycle back to the LCD screen only.

Note that the graphics processor uses the main system RAM for the display.
    This may be working for me because I had added a 1gb memory module I ordered from http://www.crucial.com.
    That has my system now running with 1.5gb of memory.
    And adding that memory was a MAJOR pain (mostly because several of the screws were really hard to turn- be VERY careful and patient!)

Anyways, the good news is that this little puppy CAN do full HDTV resolution just fine.

Also, I found that I had to have the TV on and set to display its PC signal first before switching with Fn-F5 in order for the Aspire One to output the correct signal.
    In addition, the Settings/Display control on the Aspire One desktop does not reflect the 1080p option.
    Maybe someone has a solution for that? The Fn-F5 works fine though....

anagramster, Oct 25, 2008
Ask a Question