Video and Audio codecs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nullimage, Jul 14, 2008.

1. nullimage

nullimage

Has anyone managed to install the missing codecs? I can't view almost any video, keep getting the no codec error message.

nullimage, Jul 14, 2008
  2. nullimage

yatfu

Same here, however, I've managed to install VLC in Linpus, and now I can just play almost any multimedia file I want.

Just use this guide: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html (linpus is actually a version of fedora 8)
    After installing RPM - LIVNA you can find vlc via the add/remove software function, available in advanced mode.

I'm not sure whether this is the easiest way to do it since I'm a total linux n00b :p

yatfu, Jul 15, 2008
  3. nullimage

nullimage

I took an alternative approach and simply installed VLC using the instructions found at their site for Fedora 6.
    Code:
    $> su -
        #> rpm -ivh [url]http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-6.rpm[/url]
        #> yum install vlc

After some 20MB++ downloads, i can watch pretty much anything with VLC. Does anyone know a way to add a shortcut on the simplified desktop? That and an easy way to access windows shares...

nullimage, Jul 15, 2008
  4. nullimage

nullimage

Wow, i only saw your message after i posted mine, one minute apart :) . I didn't now which fedora version this was so i guessed, it works just the same. Any ideas on the windows shares ??

nullimage, Jul 15, 2008
  5. nullimage

yatfu

Hehe, yeah seems like we both came to the same solution :p I don't know how to access windows shares though, but will look into that as well. Have you managed to install firefox3?

yatfu, Jul 15, 2008
  6. nullimage

nullimage

No, i haven't tried yet, i tried yum:
    Code:

$yum list | grep firefox
    acs-firefox-fonts.i386                   0.1-20080603.fc8.acer  installed       
    firefox.i386                             2:2.0.0.14-20080612.fc installed       
    firefox.i386                             2.0.0.15-1.fc8         updates         
    firefox-devel.i386                       2.0.0.15-1.fc8         updates 
    But it seems only version 2 is available.

nullimage, Jul 15, 2008
Ask a Question