Viewing a DVD on an AA1

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by John B, Dec 30, 2008.

1. John B

John B

My wife travels two or three days a week, and recently got an WinXP Aspire One for email while away. She also has an exercise workout DVD that she uses on my laptop when she's at home. Is there any way she can transfer this exercise programme onto the hard disk of her Aspire One so that she can follow the programme while travelling? (It's a locally produced DVD, we own it, and can negotiate permission to copy it onto the hard drive.)

John B, Dec 30, 2008
  2. John B

Forone

There seem to be 50 ways to leave your DVD disc. Being a simpleton about it, after some fooling around and failures with other ways, I use a popular free application called ImgBurn to create an .iso file (an image of the DVD) on the hard drive and VLC Player to play it directly from there. (ImgBurn also can copy the .iso to another DVD.) It's not the most space-efficient method but it makes a complete copy and playback quality is identical to the DVD. Encryption of the source DVD might require something more sophisticated.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=6379

and

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

Forone, Dec 30, 2008
  3. John B

SassyLee

SassyLee, Dec 30, 2008
  4. John B

busby1971

If you have a home computer with windows then I would recommend DVDfab to get hold of the dvd image and remove certain restrictive bits, then either watch this largish file via VLC or use DVD Shrink to make it a little bit smaller and then watch this through VLC.

DVD fab does cost money but it is a very easy programme to use and has never let me down.

busby1971, Dec 30, 2008
  5. John B

chupachups

:cool: I like imgburn but I don't think it can handle copy protected DVDs, for these DVD decrypter was the business - DVD decrypter became imgburn after legal wrangles (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imgburn)

if the DVD is not copy protected, you should be able to just copy the DVD files onto your main PC and then onto the AAO hard disk via your home network

I'm assuming of course you have either a 120 or 160GB HDD, if not, stick the DVD files onto a 8 or 16GB USB memory stick

It is possible to compress a 9GB into a 700MB xvid file, if you want to know how, wander over to the digital-digest website for the tutorials and s/w to help. I used to dabble in this years ago, but was never very good

chupachups, Dec 31, 2008
  6. John B

John B

Thanks for all these responses. My link's been down but now that I'm back up again I'll be trying these various suggestions.

John.

John B, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question