Virtual CD Drive (like poweriso for windows)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Frappawotsit, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Frappawotsit

Frappawotsit

Hi, i'm pretty new to all this linux stuff, and am wondering if there is an application i can install to mount a virtual cd_rom on my linux AA1.

On previous windows machines i installed power iso, which allowed me to "mount" any iso as if it was in an internal cd drive, all without having to have optical media.

I understand that VLC will allow playback of DVD's in iso format, can the same be said for software? i.e if i have a piece of software that only runs with the disc in, can i copy it to iso, then use vlc to mount the software, then operate as if it was in an optical drive?

apologies for the long winded post, i hope it makes sense to somebody....

thanks.

Frappawotsit, Jan 12, 2009
  2. Frappawotsit

Rapax

Two suggestions, depending on how adventurous you're feeling.

First the powerful, but maybe slightly scary way:
    Linux's standard mount program is already perfectly confortable with .iso files. Just tell it where the image is and where to mount it, and you're done. Here's how you'd do that:
    {explanations of what the commands do are in curly brackets. Do not type these.}
    sudo mkdir /mnt/iso {this makes a directory in /mnt, called 'iso'. That's where we'll be mounting your image file}
    sudo mount -t iso9660 -o loop myiso.iso /mnt/iso {this tells your computer to take the iso file 'myiso.iso' and mount it in /mnt/iso, the -t iso9660 just tells it what filesystem to expect}

Now the slow, but less mystical seeming, way:
    Open the 'Add/Remove Software' tool from the System Menu (right click etc.)
    Search for 'mount iso'
    click on the little arrow near the bottom of the window, where it says 'Package Details'
    Read the descriptions of a few of the packages, until you see what you're looking for
    Install one of the tools, maybe AcetoneISO.
    Launch AcetoneISO from the Accessories menu.

Rapax, Jan 12, 2009
  3. Frappawotsit

Frappawotsit

Many thanks... 2nd option now complete, and Acetone2 now installed.

Many thanks.... god knows where i'd be without these forums!!! LOL

Frappawotsit, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question