VirtualBox on Aspire One

Discussion in 'Linux' started by x2net, Aug 27, 2008.

1. x2net

x2net

Has anybody managed to get VirtualBox running? I've installed it ok but as soon as I try to start a Virtual machine I get...

"VirtualBox Kernel Driver not installed".

Any suggestions?

Colin

x2net, Aug 27, 2008
  2. x2net

Ryan

You need to install: virtualbox-ose-modules-generic

Ryan, Aug 27, 2008
  3. x2net

sideways

You need to compile the kernel module. Since The Aspire One has a custom kernel you can't download the fedora kernel-devel package, instead you have to get the entire kernel source, unpack it and install minimal development tools, see this thread for a howto (it's not difficult)

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1993

(There is no need to actually compile the kernel, so you only need to do steps 2,3 and 4)

EDIT: To make your life easier I've attached the kernel module vboxdrv.ko to this post, copy it to /lib/modules/2.6.23.9lw/misc/vboxdrv.ko (may need to use mkdir to create the directory first) then run 'sudo depmod'
    [attachment=0:m6ud6hg1]vboxdrv.zip[/attachment:m6ud6hg1]
    (Alternative vboxdrv.zip download)

Basic VirtualBox Howto
    =================

1. Download Fedora 8 i386 rpm binary from http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

2. In a terminal type 'sudo rpm -Uhv /home/user/Downloads/VirtualBox*.rpm (ignore error about the kernel module)

3. EDIT ignore this step if you have downloaded the kernel module from the attachment

Building the kernel module:

Type this in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo su -
    export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9lw/
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    The kernel module should start with a message 'Starting VirtualBox kernel module [OK]'

4. Add yourself to the vboxusers group then reboot
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers user
    5. Load the kernel module and start VirtualBox
    Code:
    sudo modprobe vboxdrv
    VirtualBox &
    You can also run VirtualBox form the xfce menu System -> Sun xVM VirtualBox (if available)

Enjoy :)

(Don't forget to install Guest Additions for each virtual machine, it allows dynamic screen resizing automatically and mouse capture is seamless.)

EDIT: USB is not working, If anyone has a fix please post.

EDIT2: I added 'modprobe vboxdrv' to /etc/rc.local, since the module wasn't autoloading after boot.

sideways, Aug 27, 2008
  4. x2net

sideways

Some pics of WindowsXP running nicely in VirtualBox on a 1Gb Ram 120Gb HDD Linpus Aspire One (With xfce desktop)
    (It is best to run the virtual machine in fullscreen mode - just press right-ctrl + F, that way it almost feels like XP is running natively on your Aspire One (without the security worries))

[attachment=0:3cvufn6w]vwinxpb.jpg[/attachment:3cvufn6w]

[attachment=1:3cvufn6w]vwinxpa.jpg[/attachment:3cvufn6w]

sideways, Aug 27, 2008
  5. x2net

johien

Good work! Looks very nice.

Few weeks ago i tried to run VirtualBox with no succes (read 'with no knowledge' ;) )

I'm downloading the full linux kernel now, and try to run Windows 2000 in VirtualBox.

~Fingers crossed~

If this is the last post than it didn't work out the way i hoped :D

johien, Aug 27, 2008
  6. x2net

sideways

Well good luck :) I did include the vboxdrv.ko kernel module in the first post to save the trouble of compiling yourself or in case you have trouble.

Just to clarify the WinXP install process, you need an iso image of the install disk or a usb optical drive, then you make sure the virtual machine cdrom is either mounted on the iso image or pointing to the usb drive. Then when you first start the WinXP machine it will start the installer. I used a full SP2 install image.

I set ram to 392Mb, and Virtual Disk size to be dynamic 10GB.
    In General settings I set 'Enable ACPI' and 'Enable IO APIC', and I set Audio to use ALSA. Use NAT networking to keep things simple - you'll transparently connect to the internet via your host machine connection.

You should disable the xfce screensaver.

Once again, ensure you install the Guest Additions after windows boots up for the first time, it is crucial for performance.

sideways, Aug 27, 2008
  7. x2net

johien

Thanks for the hints and tips. They do make a lot of sence because i use VirtualBox on a Mac Pro to run Windows 2000. Flawlessly.

So, now i am using the recovery usb stick. Something went wrong, offcourse i don't know what ;) Linpus started but without WIFI drivers and sound drivers, after the full kernel install. Even then i didn't get VirtualBox started. I am a noob but i learn everyday a little about Linux. I think the AAO is a lot of fun to test and pray.

It is good to start again with a clean system :D

johien, Aug 27, 2008
  8. x2net

encaputxat

i'm having a problems with building the kernel module, i don't know why?

Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    Stopping VirtualBox kernel module                          [  OK  ]
    Recompiling VirtualBox kernel module                       [FAILED]
      (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)

I have downloaded the kernel, and do the 2,3,4 steps.

Thanx

encaputxat, Aug 28, 2008
  9. x2net

sideways

You didn't follow the instructions properly, you must compile the module like this (step 3 above)
    Code:
    sudo su -
    export KERN_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9lw/
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    (you need to use 'sudo su -' to switch to a full root environment first so that you can export the environment variable KERN_DIR)

You could alternatively have just downloaded vboxdr.ko from the attachment I included and put it in the required directory manually.

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  10. x2net

encaputxat

Oh thanks! :p Work well

encaputxat, Aug 28, 2008
  11. x2net

lufcmattylad

Hi, I downloaded your vboxdrv.ko file, created the misc folder and copied the file into there

when i start start virtualbox i get this

Code:
    [user@localhost misc]$ VirtualBox &
    [1] 10654
    [user@localhost misc]$ WARNING: The compilation of the vboxdrv.ko kernel module failed during the
             installation for some reason. Starting a VM will not be possible.
             Please consult the User Manual for build instructions.

[1]+  Done                    VirtualBox
    and then the vboxdrv.ko file is then deleted (somehow) out of the misc folder

and ideas?

lufcmattylad, Aug 28, 2008
  12. x2net

johien

Had the same issue above yesterday.

Today on a clean Linpus i did another try :) VirualBox works! Done without using the submitted '.ko' file. Just type the code supplied.

Only the full kernel installation before that went wrong again. No sound and no card mount abilities.

Still it is closer to a functional os than yesterday :cool:

johien, Aug 28, 2008
  13. x2net

sideways

Did you run 'sudo depmod' after copying the file?

Perhaps try copying the kernel module first and then install VirtualBox (it might recognize that the module exists then)

If it still won't work then you'll just have to compile the module by following the instructions, it's not too difficult, make sure you complete steps 2,3 and 4 from the kernel customisation thread first.

sideways, Aug 28, 2008
  14. x2net

sideways

The latest version of VirtualBox (1.6.4) generates huge log files, to disable logging launch VirualBox from a terminal ('alt+f2', 'terminal') like this:
    Code:
    export VBOX_LOG_DEST=nofile
    VirtualBox &

sideways, Aug 30, 2008
  15. x2net

Ceno

hey,

I was able to more or less put virtualbox running, although I have to load the kernel module every time I want to start it.
    I have tried to install the full ubuntu 8.04, but even though I couldn't install because of lack of disk space, I'm not interested in that much software.

So now I'm trying to install a minimal ubuntu, with this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... /MinimalCD . It's 10mb, the rest is downloaded of the internet, but that's the problem. I can't get a connection. The instalation runs an auto-configuration of the network, and says it's all good. But then, it can't connect to the mirrors.

My guess is Virtualbox itself has the network adapter badly configured. I've tried all 4 options available by default, (PCI something and intel something I believe). how can i tackle this problem?

thx in advance, I need this for a course on operating systems O_O

Ceno, Sep 2, 2008
  16. x2net

sideways

You can't install virtual machines over the internet unless the virtualbox network driver is supported by the installer, which in your case it isn't.

Just download a ubuntu iso image and create a new linux virtual machine and mount the iso image in the virtualbox cdrom settings, then when you start the virtual machine it will start the installer.

Check the virtualbox forums for help if you have any more problems

Regarding your problem about having to load the kernel module before starting virtualbox everytime - put this line in /etc/rc.local:

modprobe vboxdrv

Now it will autoload on each boot

sideways, Sep 2, 2008
  17. x2net

Ceno

Thx for the fast answer

Let me see if I understand this. Virtualbox presents the ubuntu installer with a virtual network adapter with a given driver, and that driver is not supported? So trying something different like VMware or xen would be the way to go?
    I would've and successfully tried to install the full ubuntu (made it to like 76%), but it takes more than 2gigs in disk and gnome uses too much ram.

Thx for the tip on how to add the kernel module to startup.

Ceno, Sep 2, 2008
  18. x2net

sideways

If you have the 8gb ssd then I think running virtual operating systems is gonna be difficult.

You really need 120gb hard disk model with 1Gb ram minimum .

You might squeeze in a vm with some effort, but in all honesty, you don't have enough space.

EDIT: you're correct about the network driver

sideways, Sep 2, 2008
  19. x2net

elmechoso

Hello,
    I've already installed VirtualBox thanks to sideaways, but I have some doubts. Do you have problems configuring the virtual disk? When I access to this panel I can't accept the changes because the OK button is outside of my screen and I can't resize the panel. I use the Alt+O combination but it doesn't work all the times. I have exactly the same problem with some windows of Labplot. A resolution of 1024x800 would be better four our netbook.
    What amount of video memory have you selected?

elmechoso, Sep 2, 2008
  20. x2net

sideways

press and hold down ALT, then left-click the mouse over the window, now you will be able to move the window up with the mouse to access the OK button.

I used 492mb memory for virtual WindowsXP, I have 1GB in total so plenty left for the Linpus OS.

sideways, Sep 2, 2008
Ask a Question