virus checker and firewall

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by suze, Sep 17, 2008.

1. suze

suze

I have just purchased my Aspire One ...which I luv by the way ;) and am using it wireless on a router.

I am new to Linux ....my other laptop (Windows XP) has free AVG 8.0 and Zone Alarm installed Unfortunately, I can't seem to find out, from their website or searching, whether I could use these on my Linux system :?

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but I could'nt find it ...if someone could help I would really appreciate it ...thanks (a very dim puter female :D )

suze, Sep 17, 2008
  2. suze

daldred

daldred, Sep 17, 2008
  3. suze

Japser

Hi, I have used Linux for about eigth years now, and never ever worried about it.
    You simply don't need it because the system is built from the ground up with security in mind.
    Basically it is the concept of the 'user' that protects you and others from doing the wrong things.
    Every file, every process is owned by a user, so only that user can fiddle with it.
    There is only danger in being the 'root'-user, the administrator.

Japser, Sep 17, 2008
  4. suze

melhiore

You do not need antivirus and firewall for Linux. It's working in completely different way then Windows. Use of any antivirus with Linux it's just resources wasting...

However - advanced security procedures are not implemented to Linpus kernel. If you need really secure machine probably you need to change distro on your machine...

For ordinary user basic Linpus config will do the job w/o any problems...

melhiore, Sep 17, 2008
  5. suze

suze

:? :? :? :oops: ... sorry this is double dutch to a techi useless female :D ...but thankyou and everyone for your kind help and links ;) Sounds like I don't need them but I did however notice on one of the links mentions a virus being transferred from Windows to Linux ...as both laptops are on my wireless router could this happen? ...or would my virus checker/firewall on the Window laptop protect me...thanks

suze, Sep 18, 2008
  6. suze

melhiore

Even if you transfer infected file from Windows to Linux it is not going to work due to different system structure. Linux is really smart system, don't worry then...

melhiore, Sep 18, 2008
  7. suze

suze

Many thanks Melhiore, thats really helpful, appreciate your help :)

suze, Sep 18, 2008
Ask a Question