Vista Hibernate Problems

Discussion in 'Windows' started by inframan, Dec 30, 2008.

1. inframan

inframan

Hi All, first post for me here, thanks to those who have gone before and left helpful hints.

I have an Aspire One with 1Gb Ram 160Gb Harddrive. I have it setup with triple boot, Linpus, Xp, Vista Ultimate (Hedging my bets :) ) Bios is flashed to 3309.

So far so very good. No major problems. Onlyb a couple of niggles. If I install the Acer XP Synaptics drivers it all works but I always get a prompt asking me to allow the driver helper to run when booting up.

More seriously Vista wont hibernate. It sleeps just fine but when I hibernate it immediately wakes back up and puts up the user log in prompt.

I've searched around and checked drivers (removes the synaptics one in case that was the problem), checked powercfg lastwake which has nothing in it. Made sure LAN and WLAN adapters are set to not wake the computer. Checked USB Host controllers set to not wake computer. Think it might be touchpad or maybe even camera but no option to change power settings on those.

Anyone got Vista hibernating on their Aspire so I know its not a fundamental bios/hardware problem?

TIA

inframan, Dec 30, 2008
  2. inframan

woofer00

I dual Ubuntu and Vista Ultimate. I didn't have the problem you're facing, but you may want to try changing your bootloader. I found grub allowed me to hibernate Vista and switch over to Ubuntu, while the MS bootloader reverted straight back to Vista without the option for Ubuntu unless I did a full shutdown.

woofer00, Jan 1, 2009
  3. inframan

inframan

Thanks for the suggestion woofer00 but its actually grub I'm using though it does work a little weird as it wont let me select anything but the default boot option unless hit the tab key a couple of times just before the os menu comes up.

I think the hibernate issue is probbaly driver related if you've manged to hibernatre ok but I don't know which one.
    I'm not getting much out of the vista diagnostics for this at all. It can hibernate in XP ok but I wanted to give vista a go because of the hyper-threading.u

inframan, Jan 1, 2009
  4. inframan

transfrmr

No Dual boot here, but Vista hibernates fine so definitely not impossible.

Good Luck!

transfrmr, Jan 13, 2009
Ask a Question