Vista License Key for Activation on AAO

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by drahcir, Sep 12, 2008.

1. drahcir

drahcir

I was just about to follow one of the how-to guides to installing Vista on your AAO using a USB flash or hard drive when I realized that Vista requires a license key to activate it on your computer. None of the guides mentioned this so I was wondering if you have a Vista disc that was already used for another computer, can you still use that disc to create the Vista installation for a flash or hard drive? I assume the installation would be the same as if on a disc and the software will ask for a license key for activation? I've never tried installing the same Vista disc on two different computers but I read that you can't do that. So does this mean that to use those how-to guides on installing Vista, you actually need a brand new unused copy of Vista? If that's the case, then I'm glad I asked before I went through with it! :) Thanks for any help on this.

drahcir, Sep 12, 2008
  2. drahcir

maciek

you need new licence for it. I think disk could be the same though, shared among more machines.
    I got mine from MSAA but if you really want it give it a try, it works 30days without activation and if you like it you'll just buy it.

maciek, Sep 12, 2008
  3. drahcir

snowwy66

you can use the same disk, but you still have to pay for a license. which means calling on the phone to order it. and writing it down so you have it. buying an actual disk is the same price. and has the keycode lable onto the casing. the best way to go is to buy what's called a system builder kit. you can buy a full install vista, or xp if still available for the same price as an actual upgrade from any local retailer. and it can be used as an upgrade also. a normal full install of the home basice runs 200 bucks. while the upgrade is 100 bucks. you can buy a full install for 100 bucks if you get the system builder. but those can only be bought at local computer parts stores. not your local wallmart or bestbuy. or ordered online.

i bought the home prem. when vista first came out. i think the pricing is different now. after 18 months. but like the previous post says. you have 30 days before activation is required. but you better read all the posts regarding your own install first off. as reverting back to the factory OS. is not an easy task and there are steps that need to be done in order to make it work again. and whatever happens. do not panic and send back for repair. as it's happened already and there is a forum to fix it. trust me. i've been through ALL the pains. luckily i found the threads and was able to fix BEFORE i decided to do like some poeple and send it back. and being without for 3 weeks.

you will need the bios v.3114 in case your screen quits working. and i have xp. you need ptedit application file. so you can unhide the hidden partion and do a cmd script. one line is all that's needed. peace of cake.

i've heard recommendations of backing up the hard drive. since you don' thave a recovery cd. unless you have the linux version. i'm looking for that solution right now so i have my own back up for when things don't work again.

snowwy66, Sep 13, 2008
  4. drahcir

drahcir

Thank you for the help and suggestion! I'll look into the license key first and be sure to look further into what I'm doing before I make any mistakes.

drahcir, Sep 14, 2008
  5. drahcir

Tavel

don't buy the system builder license unless you ARE a system builder. The legality isn't really a question (a "system builder" is vaguely described in the eula), but you WILL have problems later on because all your support is done through the system builder...you...instead of Microsoft. So if you need to re-activate, "Jonny" in the Bombay call center isn't going to help you out...he'll tell you to contact your system builder...which is you. see where this is going?

If you feel VERY confident that you will not need more than 3 activations for the life of the computer, then by all means get the system builder license.

Tavel, Sep 14, 2008
  6. drahcir

snowwy66

what's the difference between system builder and upgrade. like i posted earlier. the system builder allows upgrades too. so why not have a full install for the same price as an upgrade. johnny in bombay from my experience has always been useless anyways. but if he upgrades. is johnny gonna turn him down still??? the guy wants to put vista on. johnny isn't going to ask him if he has a system builder. or an upgrade. he's plainly going to ask him what OS he is running. even though johnny should know it comes with xp. but if he upgrades to vista. johnny may or may not support him. more then likely he won't though. becuase it comes with xp. and not vista. so either way johnny won't be there for him unless he adheres strictly to the xp it came with. and as far as the activation goes. there is no limit. but if you install on another computer. then you HAVE to call johnny in bombay as he is the one that activates it. but now, that vista is only good for THAT computer and you have unlimited activation again.

this forum is much more helpful then johnny anyways. i bricked mine quite a few times installing vista on it. but this forum pulled my aa1 back to life with factory xp. i thought i was going to have to return it. since i've only had it a week now.

snowwy66, Sep 14, 2008
Ask a Question