Vista on 531h

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Wikkk, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Wikkk

Wikkk

Hi

Maybe it is a really stupid question, but I have Acer aspire one 531h with preinstalled XP and I want to upgrade to Vista.

There was one CD in the package, named CD recovery and three DVDs - Vista upgrade in differrent languages. And I really dont know how tu use them. Recovery CD only reinstalls XP on the hardrive (It does the same thing as pressing Alt-F10 during boot sequence). There was no visible posibility to swith to Vista. On DVD are several directories, the biggest one contains many files with SWM extensions named POP0105M02CS5C01.SWM etc.. DVD is NOT bootable, it contains no executables so I really dont know how to use it. I was googling long long time, I was searching this forum and I only know that swm is file format used by Microsoft's program imagex. And thats all :(

Please, if You know what to do, give me some clue.

P.S.: Sorry for my poor english...

Wikkk, Mar 8, 2010
  2. Wikkk

NorCalAspire

If it came with a Vista upgrade DVD with a Microsoft license sticker, you should be good to go, just insert it in an external DVD player, enable "select boot order" in the BIOS (press F2 during bootup, then navigate the various BIOS menu screens and activate the F12 boot order key), then hit F12 during boot up, select the external DVD player, and follow the upgrade instructions from there on out.

You'll have to install the service packs after installing, just keep going back to the Windows Update menu item and keep updating and rebooting until the many update series are installed, the service pack is one of the last.

Vista doesn't run bad. Use Google to search for "speed up Vista" or "improve Vista performance" and follow the directions there.

If your upgrade disks did NOT come with a Microsoft license sticker - usually peels off the disk sleeve that holds the upgrade disk - something is wrong. Contact Acer support and ask them. There were no free upgrades from XP to Vista in the US but I heard they offered them in Asia.

BTW most people prefer XP over Vista, and many gear heads even prefer it over Win 7.

NorCalAspire, Mar 8, 2010
  3. Wikkk

Wikkk

Thank you for your answer. Yes, there is a Vista license sticker on the bottom of the netbook. The problem is, that Vista DVD is not bootable - it loooks like it should be used with some sort of "upgrading tool". It contains image files (*.swm) I think they should be applied on recovery partition some way. But I really don't know how to use this DVD. I've asked the sellers and he replied that upgrade should be done with the recovery CD. I will try to contact Acer support.

Wikkk, Mar 9, 2010
Ask a Question