vista on acer one 1.5gb ram

Discussion in 'Windows' started by orangeteg, Oct 9, 2008.

1. orangeteg

orangeteg

Hello guys, gals. i am new here...i recently bought an acer one with 512mb ram, 120gb hdd. I am planning to add 1gb more to it and run vista basic on it. ive been told that it will be very slow. Anyone who have done that on a 1.5gb ram acer one? suggestions?

orangeteg, Oct 9, 2008
  2. orangeteg

gradyp

I'm currently running Vista on 1 gig of ram. It's no powerhouse but it's running plenty quick, I even have the Aero interface running smoothly. I've played a few video games on it with 1 gig and it's holding up to the strain quite well. I've got a bunch of things open right now and have 82% used memory. the extra half gig would be helpful but for the light work that this machine is capable of 1 gig is working well enough.

One thing I did was to toss a 4 gig high speed SD card in the left card slot to run readyboost. I'm not sure if it helps at all but it doesn't hurt.

gradyp, Oct 9, 2008
  3. orangeteg

moondevil

Gotta say, I have replaced my main laptop with a One, running Vista with 1.5gb ram and 120gb HD. Runs everything I need it to. When at home, I connect to an external monitor, it runs 1440x900 no problem. Being as I'm using it as my main work PC it is usually running outlook, word, powerpoint, Chrome and/or Firefox and IE. All this runs with no problem at all. ReadyBoost does make a difference. I have a 1GB 133x SD card that I use, and it cuts down disk activity significantly.

moondevil, Oct 9, 2008
  4. orangeteg

GvidoR

I've heard that the fan noise is lower on Vista, is that true ? It would be nice for the One to be not so loud but I guess I am going to stick with XP till Windows 7 comes out, unless it requires more resources than Vista. :eek:

GvidoR, Oct 10, 2008
  5. orangeteg

Guest Guest

Also running Vista with 1.5gigs of ram. No problems at all. Performance is very good with the extra memory.

Guest, Oct 10, 2008
  6. orangeteg

DCL

im running vista ultimate , with dremesceme, aero and it runs great, and also im planning to get a 2gig ram stick, to put in the one!

DCL, Oct 10, 2008
  7. orangeteg

foxtail

DCL, 2gig stick won't help the one at all. From forum reads...it still registers 1.5 gig ram. Just wondering if anyone has un-soliered the on board ram and put a 1gig stick there to see if that will bring up the ram. foxtail

foxtail, Oct 10, 2008
  8. orangeteg

superfastkyle

What did I do wrong then. Cause when I tried vista it was much slower than xp and after I spent almost a couple hours getting aero to run... every time I started a fullscreen game or when i went into standby, it reverted to vista basic... I've already added the gig of ram

also I thought I read that battery life was better with vista but the battery meter said much less when the battery was full. is one just not accurate?

superfastkyle, Oct 12, 2008
  9. orangeteg

Tamrac

You did nothing wrong.... Vista will never be faster than XP on the AAO.

Tamrac, Oct 12, 2008
  10. orangeteg

Neogen

i find vista runs very well on my one. Boot up time to a usable state is around a minute. All in all i am very happy with it. Cos lets face it we are not meant to run vista on it anyway lol

Neogen, Oct 12, 2008
  11. orangeteg

samacerwvusp1

After 4+ hours of upgrading my acer one to vista ultimate sp1, to include adding 1GB RAM and an old 7200 rpm, 120GB SATA HD - I am very happy with my laptop's performance. Everything works and it runs plenty fast for regular computing. I don't entend on using this little gem for video editing or dvd ripping so for the money - I am a very happy customer! I wanted to buy an Ipod touch but the screen is too small for my eyes, luckily I found this laptop and it has not dissapoint me a bit.

samacerwvusp1, Oct 13, 2008
  12. orangeteg

jair2k4

using an nlited version of vista (SxS is still installed) with 1.5gb ram, I can get my system to bench out as fast as the stock xp home that comes with the A150. I've also got readyboost going, and it seems to help as well. I'm still looking for a good benchmark program that gives an overall score. I think i will go make a new thread on the subject, assuming searching doesnt turn up what i am looking for.

jair2k4, Oct 20, 2008
Ask a Question