VLC cant play XVID files

Discussion in 'Linux' started by spiridenok, Jun 30, 2009.

1. spiridenok

spiridenok

Hello all,

I would like to play back different .avi files on my AAO. That was not possible with the video player provided by default. For that i installed VLC from the Acer support site (http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone ... s/fun.html). The installation went without errors and i can start up the vlc now.

However when i open an *.avi file using VLC->File->Quick Open file->Documents i get no video, only the following errors in the terminal window:
    Code:
    VLC media player 0.8.6i Janus
    [00000301] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for fourcc `XVID'.
    VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
    [00000316] pulse audio output error: Failed to connect to server: Connection refused
    [00000316] pulse audio output error: Pulse initialization failed

I checked if i have the ffmpeg library installed and this is what i get:
    Code:
    [user@localhost ~]$ !rp
    rpm -q -l ffmpeg-libs-0.4.9-0.42.20071121.lvn8
    /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51
    /usr/lib/libavcodec.so.51.48.0
    /usr/lib/libavformat.so.51
    /usr/lib/libavformat.so.51.19.0
    /usr/lib/libavutil.so.49
    /usr/lib/libavutil.so.49.5.0
    /usr/lib/libpostproc.so.51
    /usr/lib/libpostproc.so.51.1.0
    /usr/lib/vhook
    /usr/lib/vhook/drawtext.so
    /usr/lib/vhook/fish.so
    /usr/lib/vhook/imlib2.so
    /usr/lib/vhook/null.so
    /usr/lib/vhook/ppm.so
    /usr/lib/vhook/watermark.so

Any help with this problem would be appreciated!

P.S. I'm running Linpus Linux on my AAO.

spiridenok, Jun 30, 2009
  2. spiridenok

DutchDK

The VLC supplied through the Acer site is cutdown so any encoding formats which might require licensing, hasn't been compiled in. That includes Mpeg4 format. of which Xvid/DivX is a deriative of. Since the VLC library for Mpeg4 also handles Xvid and DivX, thats the reason you can't play those files with the VLC from the Acer site.

What you should do instead, is to use the Linpus package manager ( You have to enable the advanced mode of Linpus to use it), and then add the correct fedora 8 repositories, so you can download a full version of VLC and the necessary codec library files. It has been covered on the forums before, so a search, either on the forums, or with the allseeing Google, will give you the correct procedure. Just search for "Install VLC on Linpus from fedora" and you should be able to do it.

DutchDK, Jun 30, 2009
Ask a Question