vlc codecs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Florio, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Florio

Florio

Further to my earlier post (media player on linux), I have discovered that the netbook has VLC player already installed, but there is no link for upgrades, and I receive a message when I try to play .avi files:
    "cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x444956582."

I am wondering how to update the VLC player to the current version (i.e., in which folder should I download and install the program), and if downloading the recent version will actually fix the problem of the missing codecs. If it will not, could someone possibly tell me where to locate the missing codecs and how to install them into the correct folder to get the player working?

Florio

Florio, Aug 23, 2011
  2. Florio

Robert Lake

You should go to macles.blogspot.com and follow the instructions given there. You can find the same instruction on this forum also. As far as I know you cannot upgrade to recent versions of VLC. However, I can play pretty much all formats I want on my machine. I save mp4 files from youtube, various movies in .avi etc. If you want better performance change the original ssd drive (if that is what you have) to the 32G from Super Talent made for the AAO. It makes a big difference.

Robert Lake, Nov 20, 2011
Ask a Question