VLC + Compiz = ????

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ace_Rimmer, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Ace_Rimmer

Ace_Rimmer

Hope this is the correct forum for this ... Just thought I would post this for any possible interest and info.

Yesterday I was playing a Quicktime video using VLC Media Player and for some unknown reason I decided to experiment with Compiz at the same time. I started fusion-icon and then selected Compiz as window manager. The video playing in the VLC window looked strange and jumpy so, again, for some unknown reason I decided to minimize the VLC window.

The entire system locked up and I had to use the power button to shut down.

When I restarted I got the usual Acer splash screen and then a black screen with the mouse pointer, and that's as far as it would go. I could not figure out how to get past that.

I probably would have had to restore back to the factory configuration, BUT, as luck would have it just a short time earlier I had imaged my 8 GB SSD using PING as discussed on this page:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3182&start=30

Within 10 minutes I was back up and in operation thanks to the PING image, but this could have been a real pain since I have lots of customizations and software installed. So ... just beware that video and Compiz may be a bad mix. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Ace_Rimmer, Oct 9, 2008
  2. Ace_Rimmer

LIV2

The Integrated Graphics in the Aspire One does not handle Compiz + Video at all, I have Compiz working on Debian with Mplayer, but there is so much lag it's unwatchable.

On top of that, compiz would be a bit of a battery hog anyway.

LIV2, Oct 9, 2008
  3. Ace_Rimmer

SlCKB0Y

Yes it DOES handle compiz plus video, yyou just have to know what you are doing.

In the VLC options, in video output modules make sure you use opengl if you are going to be using compiz.

SlCKB0Y, Oct 12, 2008
  4. Ace_Rimmer

Ace_Rimmer

:cry: Sadly, this is true far too often in life. But... Thanks much for the info, glad to find this out! :D

Ace_Rimmer, Oct 12, 2008
  5. Ace_Rimmer

JoaoMachado

And how does one do that? I don't see an option to "enable".

JoaoMachado, Oct 13, 2008
  6. Ace_Rimmer

cam

I'd like to bump this topic in the hope of getting an answer to the above question - I love compiz but am so let down with the performance of VLC when using it.

cam, Oct 27, 2008
  7. Ace_Rimmer

Tamrac

I have a similar thread about this the other day.... but didn't know it was Compiz w/c was causing the problem.

here's the SOLUTION: Go into VLC and choose X11 as the video output mode. ;)

Watched and entire DIVX video yesterday, and it was as smooth as silk. That with Compiz ON. :D

Tamrac, Oct 28, 2008
  8. Ace_Rimmer

cam

I'm probably being pretty thick - but I can't find any options for this in settings...Sorry for being stupid!

cam, Oct 29, 2008
Ask a Question