VLC install problem

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by romric, Sep 11, 2008.

1. romric

romric

Hi,
    I'm tryinng to install vlc via terminal (procedure su etc) but I receive the following problem:

Unresolvable requirement libnm-util.so.0 for NetworkManager-gnome
    Missing Dependency: vlc-core = 0.8.6h-1.lvn8 is needed by package vlc
    Missing Dependency: libpulse.so.0(PULSE_0) is needed by package vlc
    Unresolvable requirement libnm-util.so.0 for NetworkManager-vpnc
    Missing Dependency: libdvdnav.so.4 is needed by package vlc-core
    Missing Dependency: libopendaap.so.0 is needed by package vlc-core
    Unresolvable requirement NetworkManager = 1:0.7.0-lp.0020 for NetworkManager-gnome
    Unresolvable requirement libnm-util.so.0 for NetworkManager-glib
    Unresolvable requirement libnm-util.so.0 for NetworkManager-openvpn

Does anyone help me?
    sorry for my bad english
    thanks in advance
    Bye
    Ric

romric, Sep 11, 2008
  2. romric

Mikael

I also have about the same problem, can anyone help?
    I downloaded livna-release-8.rpm and when I run yum install vlc I get these error messages.

"yum install vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency: libpulse.so.0(PULSE_0) is needed by package vlc
    Error: Missing Dependency: libopendaap.so.0 is needed by package vlc-core
    Error: Missing Dependency: libdvdnav.so.4 is needed by package vlc-core
    "

I'm sort of lost as my linux skills are the beginners level.

Mikael, Sep 11, 2008
  3. romric

yatfu

I had the same troubles this morning when reinstalling my system, turns out there's something going on concerning the fedora repositories (i'm a linux-n00b as well, but it's something about a changed key, if I'm correct). Anyway, I've solved it using this:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?t ... s_wrong.3F

I'm not sure if this is the correct method according to people who know more about this, but it worked for me :p

yatfu, Sep 11, 2008
  4. romric

alc8

Thanks for posting this link. I've spent hours trying to solve this problem last night without any success. I will try the instructions on that web page tonight and report back if it works.

alc8, Sep 11, 2008
  5. romric

mosteo

Thank you, yatfu, this did it for me. I had had a lot of headaches over this issue... couldn't ever have found that.

mosteo, Sep 11, 2008
  6. romric

chowwuikeung

I got the same error message as yours.
    Solution. Google all three of those files and download them. (Make sure you get the i386 version for Fedora 8. There are a few sites that hosts these RPM files). After you download them, install it using the default installer. Do a yum update after. Use the prefix 'su' or 'sudo' if it says you need to be in root account to proceed.

The problem comes from the fact that your livna repositories are missing those files; so you gotta manually download them. Yeah, watching WALL-E on vlc now.

chowwuikeung, Sep 12, 2008
  7. romric

Mikael

Thanks chowwuikeung! I was on my way doing what you suggest but am on really thin linux-ice when I go behind the glossy facade :oops: I now got the confidence I need. Thanks again - I'll return if I stumble somewhere.

Mikael, Sep 12, 2008
  8. romric

alc8

this worked for me, thanks! now if i can only get aspire one to see the network drives :D

alc8, Sep 13, 2008
  9. romric

marudai

Good advice, but where do I put them after I download them?

Edit: I downloaded the packages (pulseaudio-libs, libopendaap, & libdvdnav) with RPM or, at least, I think I did, but I still get those three Missing Dependency errors. Do I have to do something to install those packages before I can install VLC?

marudai, Sep 16, 2008
  10. romric

chowwuikeung

you're supposed to run/open them so the system know its there.

chowwuikeung, Sep 16, 2008
  11. romric

Shad0wguy

I was missing those same dependencies. I went to rpmfind.net and searched those dependencies and downloaded each one for Fedora 8. Once I had the 3 installed I ran yum install vlc again and it installed fine.

Shad0wguy, Sep 16, 2008
  12. romric

marudai

Thanks, guys. I got it working! Here's what I did, in case it's not clear to anyone else:

This whole thing made me nervous because I'm new to Linux and, to be honest, I'm used to my Mac doing all the thinking. The problem is that I assumed my A1 wouldn't do ANY of the thinking. Wrong. It's a great little machine...

Through Google I found http://rpm.pbone.net which has all the .rpm files we need.

I used rpm.pbone.net's search to look for the missing files. There's always a huge list, but for each missing dependency we want the one for Fedora 8, whose name ends with .fc8.i386.rpm

Click on the link for the file and you get a list of mirrors to download the file from. Get the file from one of them. Incidentally, I had a weird problem with Firefox 3: since several of the mirrors were overloaded, I'd get a popup window with an error of some sort, but then the Firefox "What do you want to do with this file" window popped up over it. If I told it to download the file in spite of the error, I got an empty file that I couldn't use. So, if you get an error, cancel the download and try again.

Once I had downloaded the rpm files for pulseaudio, libopendaap, and libdvdnav to my usual Downloads folder, I just went in with the File Manager and opened them by double-clicking. Just like opening a .zip file on another system, Linpus is smart enough to know what to do with these .rpm files. It fires up the Software Installer, asks for the root password, and installs the package.

I did that with all three and then went back to the terminal. "sudo yum install vlc" worked like a charm this time and I was watching vids a few minutes later.

I'm not using the Acer desktop but VLC popped up in the xfce menu without any help from me.

Hope this helps.

marudai, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question