VLC Installation guide written by a newbie for a newbie

Discussion in 'Linux' started by patrickscott, Dec 27, 2008.

1. patrickscott

sagebrush

GEZZZZ ..JUST INSTALL LINUX MINT ( ELYSSA ) AND VLC IS EMBEDDED

sagebrush, Feb 16, 2009
  2. patrickscott

Carla

Your post was great, thank you, I did it! As a real [/u ]newbie to Linux I know nothing and your post started at the very beginning. All too often it's assumed that beginners start somewhere just beyond the start ..................... believe me we dont! For those of us that have no techie background please do treat us as idiots, I certainly need an a,b,c ....this is how you do it guide

Carla, Feb 22, 2009
  3. patrickscott

abar121

Thanks, working great.

abar121, Feb 28, 2009
  4. patrickscott

wigwam

Hi

I followed the guide given and couldn't find VLC icon on desktop so followed the next step where you rearrange the order in the fun menu but still nothing!

Anyone got any idea why or advice would be greatly appreciated!

wigwam, Mar 28, 2009
  5. patrickscott

felixdacosta

Hello!
    This is my first post. Help me, please

I've taken all the steps but, on the last one I get a error message, it can't download the "primary.sqlite.bz2" from any mirror. Is it my problem? I'm new with linux...

Also I can't put the icon on the desktop (I have changed the desktop taking "the 10 easy steps")

(I have a aspireone 8,9" with linpus lite)

felixdacosta, Apr 5, 2009
  6. patrickscott

felixdacosta

My problem is my net conection. Tried in my neighbours house and it worked...

felixdacosta, Apr 8, 2009
  7. patrickscott

Aspiration

1st step... when I click alt F2, click on run in terminal and ten click run I get "Warning: Cannot convert string "nil2" to type FontStruct".
    Why?
    It opens 2 windows... terminal and another window with user@localhost:-

Aspiration, Apr 12, 2009
  8. patrickscott

Aspiration

Found another mistake in your directions.\
    You said to copy and past into the terminal window. Terminsal window does not have user@local host in it. There are two windows open using the command alt f2 click on run in terminal and click run.

WHY IS IT THAT NO ONE HAS YET LEARNED HOW TO TYPE ACCURATE DIRECTIONS ON HERE?

Aspiration, Apr 12, 2009
  9. patrickscott

Aspiration

BY THE WAY... IT NEVER DID FINISH DOING THE CUT AND PASTE COOMAND IN THE TERMINAL WINDOW.
    I HATE PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER LEARNED HOW TO WRITE DIRECTIONS SO THEY WORK!!! IS EVERYONE INCOMPETENT HERE?

START FROM THE BEGINNING AND TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS VLC INSTALL WITH ACCURATE DIRECTIONS! WHY DON'T YOU MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT REMOVING THE MPLAYER AND THAT OTHER MEDIA PLAYER FIRST? THIS IS GOING TO TAKE YEARS TO FIX THESE MISTAKES BEFORE I CAN EVEN INSTALL VLC BECAUSE OF HAVING TO FIX ALL THESE BLUNDERS.

ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED IS THAT WHEN PEOPLE MAKE SO MANY STUPID MISTAKES IN GIVING DIRECTIONS THAT IT IS BEST TO JUST QUIT LISTENING TO THEM OTHERWISE TRYING TO FOLLOW FAULTY DIRECTIONS CAUSES EVEN MORE PROBLEMS. DO YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX YOUR MISTAKES AND GIVE ACCURATE DIRECTIONS?

IS THERE ANYONE ELSE ON HERE WHO KNOWS HOW TO WRITE ACCURATE AND CLEAR DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL VLC??

Aspiration, Apr 12, 2009
  10. patrickscott

Pontificator

Are we done with our little all-caps tantrum?

You cannot remove Mplayer or any of the other media players that are embedded in Linpus Linux so stop worrying about it.

FYI the person who wrote these instructions did one hell of a job because I've installed VLC twice on 2 different AA1's with no problems.

However, something's changed in the past couple of months...

I'm trying to re-install VLC after doing a complete system reinstall and into the third step I'm getting "command not found" messages. THIS PROBABLY MEANS THAT THE REPOSITORY WHERE THE VLC FILES WERE LOCATED...HAS BEEN MOVED ELSEWHERE hence the script with the URL in it will no longer work.

So...does anyone know where the repository is now?

Send me a PM/IM if you know.

Thanks.

Pontificator, Apr 25, 2009
  11. patrickscott

Pontificator

OK, I have once again been able to successfully install VLC :D

Some observations

I opened a terminal but did NOT click "run in terminal" checkbox. this gives you a much larger terminal window and any commands you cut and paste into it will not automatically run when you paste them in...you will hit "enter" just as the directions have said. One time I got a "command not found" message. Screw it...I just kept going. I also got a "complete!" message when only halfway through the directions and again...just kept going.

Only one small quirk: the Version of VLC that was installed is a slightly older version. For some odd reason...if you have a 2nd generation (1GB) AA1 you get the older version. If you have a 1st gen (512MB) AA1 you'll likely get the newest version. I have no idea why.

In this particular case the AA1 is a 1st generation machine that had a 2nd generation's DVD recovery disc's info installed on it. So, the version of VLC you might get is probably not based on whether your machine is 512MB or 1GB....it's based on the version of Linpus. At least that's my theory.

Yeah, I got that annoying little error window with the "U%" on it and using info from an earlier post in this thread got rid of it.

Pontificator, Apr 25, 2009
  12. patrickscott

Fairnuf

What is the problem from downloading and installing VLC from http://www.acer.com/aspireone/aspireone ... s/fun.html ?

This seems a really simple way of doing it without having to invoke the terminal. I am presuming that as beginners are being told to follow an installation using terminal that the download from acer doesn't work?

Fairnuf, Apr 28, 2009
  13. patrickscott

pjn100

The Acer link worked for me but I now have three VLC icons. Also I do not seem to be able to view an mp4 video. Can anyone advise?

pjn100, May 4, 2009
  14. patrickscott

sanger440

PJN100, I have read that using the Acer install of vlc did not load any new codecs for various video's. I used the instructions on MACLEs blog to get VLS. Come to think of it, I just used the Linpus package manager and installed VLC and all the codecs came with it. My box seems like it will play most any type of video.

Sanger

sanger440, May 8, 2009
  15. patrickscott

DracUK

EASY WAY...........All I did to install VLC was download the early release from Acers site which will install and give you the desktop icon,I then did all the steps on Macles site EXCEPT the part on installing the icon on desktop and everything works great.

DracUK

DracUK, May 20, 2009
  16. patrickscott

trace

Nothing as long as it plays your videos. It's quite a bit older (0.8.x) than the newest one for Fedora 8. A video I have streamed did not play with the "Acer" VLC. It plays with the (0.9.x) for Fedora 8.

Bu I first had problems installing the Fedora 8 packages. It complained about missing libs. (I was a bit surprised!) So I then first installed the Acer package and then the Fedora 8 packages. At least I got video, but the sound seems to be missing.

Oddly enough Acers branded mediaplayer, included with AAO, seems to play the video with video and sound.

trace, May 28, 2009
  17. patrickscott

Neva

This worked in 2010-02-25:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=167

-----------------------
    To install VLC just add both repositories and use yum.

Code:
    wget [url]http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/updates/8/i386/rpmfusion-free-release-8-6.noarch.rpm[/url]
    wget [url]http://rpms.kwizart.net/kwizart-release-8.rpm[/url]
    sudo rpm -U *release*rpm
    sudo yum install --enablerepo=kwizart-testing vlc mozilla-vlc
    ==============================================

I opened a terminal and entered the lines above. A lot was installed, but I was informed that some dependencies were missing. However, I was able to solve this problem by entering this line:

Code:
    sudo yum install fedora-release
    Next I repeated the installation of the VLC player:
    Code:
    sudo yum install --enablerepo=kwizart-testing vlc mozilla-vlc
    That solved my problem. Now everything is working fine.
    -----------------------

Neva, Feb 25, 2010
  18. patrickscott

JL2652000

I am trying to follow this guide and the advice on macles blog "installing vlc on aspire one linux"

I updated default repositories OK
    sudo yum install fedora-release

But when I try to add the rpmfusion repo I get a 'connection timed out error'
    wget http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fed ... noarch.rpm

Can anyone help!?

JL2652000, Jan 29, 2011
Ask a Question