VLC issue audio distortion

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Trond, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Trond

Trond

Hi

I have an AA1 110 with linpus. Thanks to a guide found on this site I managed to install VLC.
    If I pull the volume slider to anything above very quiet there is an awful distortion on the sound.
    A quik fix go settings -> Extended GUI and enable equalizer, pull preamp slider down as close to zero as possible solve the distortion issue.
    This has to be done every time I start VLC.

I googled and found that this is a common problem and the correct solution should be to change audio output device but this is not an option in preferences of my installed VLC 0.8.6.

Problem is:
    1. If i pull the preamp slider below 0 VLC crash.
    2. How can I make the preamp setting stick?

I had a look in the configuration file in hope that editing a cryptic command line would do the trick but this was emty
    sudo mousepad /.vlc/vlcrc

Trond, Aug 12, 2008
  2. Trond

Beldar

Why mess with the preamp? Stay with the default sound volume and just adjust the volume on the "One".

Beldar, Aug 12, 2008
  3. Trond

nngomes

That doesn´t solve the audio distortion.

I have this exact problem...

Solution is like the first post says, move the audio slider almost to mute and then use the acer volume keys.

nngomes, Aug 13, 2008
  4. Trond

Beldar

Yes it does. I also use VLC and I have no distortion because I never touch the volume slider. I just stay with the default sound volume and adjust the volume on the "One".

Beldar, Aug 13, 2008
  5. Trond

Payndz

I've had the audio distortion (an intermittent crackling) in VLC; it's an annoyance for me because even at full volume, the One isn't particularly loud, and my hearing's not great. I might have to check out the preamp trick, though, if it gets round the distortion problem.

Payndz, Aug 14, 2008
  6. Trond

jrvirtue

Like the others I'm having a similar problem with audio. Moving the audio slider down to about 15% then increasing the main volume seems to solve the problem. I've been doing some research and it seems the problem isn't isolated to the aspire one. Other users using other computers and other distros like ubuntu are having the same problem.

Unless someone here knows any better, it looks like we're going to have to wait for an upgraded version of VLC.

jrvirtue, Aug 19, 2008
  7. Trond

nngomes

This is the solution i use for know too. Many people have this problem, i think it´s a vlc problem... let´s wait for another version.

Meanwhile, i still have the subtitles issue... they are completely out of sync on the One.

nngomes, Aug 19, 2008
  8. Trond

Ace_Rimmer

Regarding audio distortion with VLC, you might try opening up alsamixer (open a terminal window and enter alsamixer at the command prompt) and reducing the PCM level setting.

I don't have VLC installed on my One, but I think I recall doing this on another Linux box.

If you are not familiar with alsamixer, left and right cursor (arrow) will move you between settings, up and down cursor will adjust level, M will mute (I think) and space will toggle on and off. Tab will move between "input", "output", and "all" screens. Escape will exit back to the command prompt, then enter exit to close the window.

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 23, 2008
  9. Trond

Trond

Thank you all for your reply
    Thank Beldar, I am happy on your behalf that you are able to adapt to this issue.
    Special thanks to Ace_Rimmer with the alsamixer trick. That may be useful somewhere.
    I have used VLC for many years in win98, XP and Vista and never had any problems before with this software.
    My conclusion so far is that the livna vlc release is fubar.
    Solution:
    One kind soul on this board showed me how to upgrade mplayer. Acer was right, mplayer is a good media player for the AA1. Once I got some codecs and lost that awful media player GUI, mplayer does fulfill my needs.

Trond, Aug 28, 2008
  10. Trond

Ace_Rimmer

By the way, I did finally install VLC and don't have any audio distortion problems on my one.

Regarding alsamixer, yes that is a good thing to keep in mind, as it will let you do all sorts of fine adjustments to your audio.

Ace_Rimmer, Aug 28, 2008
  11. Trond

-BK-

I use VLC 0.8.6.
    I checked Extended GUI in Preferences-TAB.
    In Audio filters I checked Headphone effect.
    Problem solved.

:cool:

-BK-, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question