VLC maximum battery life

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dmnchief001, Dec 24, 2009.

1. dmnchief001

dmnchief001

I was wondering if there exists a linux based OS that only has vlc media player on it. I want to maximize my battery life as much as possible. I want to dual boot into this OS whenever I simply want to watch a movie.

I know xp gets better battery life than most linux distributions (could be all of them). Would this increase battery life more so than if I used vlc in windows xp?

Finally, I'm about to test the battery life of using vlc in Moblin 2.1. Does anyone know if Moblin 2.1 gives better battery life results than xp?

P.S. I'm extremely knew to linux, but what better time to learn than during the holidays :)...

dmnchief001, Dec 24, 2009
  2. dmnchief001

WpgCameraMan

I'm currently running tests with my Acer ZG5 (original, no mods, 3 cell) and GeexBox. Very simple to install.

I do have to check if GeexBox runs all from RAM, because then I would install it on the HDD as a secondary OS boot.

Love the fact that it shuts the HDD down after 3 mins. Not sure yet about other hardware like the Lan and WiFI and webcam. I'm so new to Linux it hurts.

Anyways, I'll post my results tomorrow.

WpgCameraMan, Jan 3, 2010
Ask a Question