VLC on Mandriva KDE (solved, after a fashion)

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thoza, Apr 2, 2009.

1. thoza

thoza

Hi, after having the screen of my One repaired, I had to re-install Mandriva, which worked without a hitch. BUT, for some reason I don't get VLC to work anymore.

I've tried deactivating 3D, running with mantisse, running with compiz, but no joy. The computer tries to start VLC and then gives up. At the first try it get's to the screen where you decide how you want to download album covers, then, nothing.

Similarly, adobeair applications show a black screen only

Browsing here hasn't helped and google is quiet about this too. Any suggestions, ideas?

After installing 2009.1 KDE (fresh install, not upgrade), and not installing the task 3d package for KDE, I've got 3d support and vlc!

Cheers,

thoza

thoza, Apr 2, 2009
  2. thoza

dack001

Re: VLC on Mandriva KDE

Try to remove VLC via the Package Managerr, and after this, install it again.

dack001, Apr 14, 2009
  3. thoza

alouali

There has been a problem with earlier versions of VLC in Mandriva 2009.1 cooker, that has been corrected, try an update. (and remove your .vlc preference folder in you current directory, to rebuild a new one)

alouali, Apr 17, 2009
  4. thoza

thoza

Still haven't got it to work, ah well, let's see what happens after migrating to spring. After all Adobe Air has bombed out too. Maybe a re-install isn't completely off the cards.

Thanks,

thoza

thoza, Apr 28, 2009
  5. thoza

alouali

Just to tell that the final version of MAndriva 2009.1 (Spring) is out, and after a fresh install, everything works fine ! The webcam, the wifi, the volume keys, ... The ext4 file systems is faster than the previous ext2. The only tweak to do is about exa options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf to get the 3D effetcs of KDE 4 to works smoothly. I have also disabled Pulse Audio in Mandriva Control Center > Sound because I find it to be unuseful.

The boot time after removing all the unneeded services for such a small computer is about 40 seconds.

alouali, May 11, 2009
Ask a Question