vlc player not showing video ....just audio

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rhodan4t, Jun 17, 2009.

1. rhodan4t

rhodan4t

Hi can I get some help......

I've installed VLC after a recovery from plugging in a bad mem stick .....when I had it installed before it played video and audio no probs....I'm on linpus lite by the way.......so did the recovery and installed VLC again but it has this problem ....any ideas...to help out this realitivly green linux user

Thankx in advance

Danny

rhodan4t, Jun 17, 2009
  2. rhodan4t

DutchDK

The VLC player downloaded from Acer's Aspire One site doesn't contain the codecs needed to play most modern video formats due to copyright reasons - If Acer distributed a fully functional version, the various copyright holders (Mp4, Dvd format, etc) suddenly would have a big target to go after.

If you want a fully functional VLC, you either need to compile it self from source, or use yum to install it from a Fedora 8 repository.

If you read this thread over at the videolan forum, you should be able to install a non-crippled version via yum.
    http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=48759&f=13

DutchDK, Jun 17, 2009
  3. rhodan4t

groeswenphil

You know...........that's an awfully long, complicated post.
    Has anybody just got the instructions for getting the codecs ?..............without all the methods that don't work?
    Phil

groeswenphil, Jun 20, 2009
  4. rhodan4t

barrie

barrie, Jun 23, 2009
Ask a Question