vlc player

Discussion in 'Linux' started by drfhm, Feb 20, 2009.

1. drfhm

drfhm

Bought an Acer Aspire one in november, i know it has 120gb and 512mps . I downloaded firefox 3 and skype including icon in right place, no idea how i did it , lost track somewere along the way with all the options i took i couldent do it again .The problem is i want the VLC player and dont have any idea what i have as as system other than i think its linux lite . What version do i use on the VLC site to download. STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS WOULD BE FANTASTIC IF POSSIBLE, Im totaly new to LINUX and FIREFOX already geting stressed .haha . I cant see a linux lite option to download , will i have whats called Fedora or GUM , i havent downloaded anything other than FF3 and Skype Many thanks in advance to anyone that can point me in the right direction . One last thing , i downloaded VLC onto my windows Xl pc no prob , works well , wish Linux was as simple .

drfhm, Feb 20, 2009
  2. drfhm

barrie

Hi drfhm,

I had great problems with regards to unresolved dependences when I first tried to install VLC, but used the following which fixed the dependency issue and have had VLC running fine now. :D

Open a terminal then type
    su-
    sudo yum update fedora-release
    sudo yum install vlc

and type yes when ever asked.

barrie, Feb 20, 2009
  3. drfhm

masonnj

I spent most of yesterday, on and off, trying to install vlc and the above didn't work for me. sudo yum update fedora-release just gave a 'nothing to do' message and I still got the dependancy errors.

NOTE: I am running the Linpus OS that came pre-installed.

In the end I decided to see if I could install the missing dependencies myself.

I found a site via Google http://rpm.pbone.net/

On here I searched for and downloaded the files mentioned in the error messages. You have to ensure you get the right ones, Fedora 8 i386.

This is the list of files I downloaded;

libdc1394-2.0.2.1-1.fc8.i386.rpm
    libdvdnav4-0.1.10-2.fc8.i386.rpm
    libopendaap-0.4.0-4.fc8.i386.rpm
    pulseaudio-libs-0.9.8-5.fc8.i386.rpm

After downloading the above files I double clicked on each in turn to load them, one or more throws up a message to the effect that the file can't be verified etc. I just clicked on 'install anyway'.

Once done I rebooted, I'm not sure if this was necessary but it couldn't hurt just in case any files need a re-boot to register properly. ;)

Once re-booted I opened a terminal;

$ sudo yum install vlc

And this time vlc installed without any errors.

Now the solution was, in the end, very simple but I spent all day looking for it and didn't really find any help. All the web pages, blogs and forums I looked at all trotted out the same advice or variations of it and to be fair they did fix it for some people, but not all.

Not one of the places I looked, and there were loads of them, offered the simple advice - 'If you have missing files, google for them, download and install them yourself!'

I doubt this fix is a golden bullet for all vlc install problems but I do hope it helps someone and saves them a lot of wasted time and effort.

Regards
    Nick

masonnj, Feb 27, 2009
  4. drfhm

drfhm

Re: vlc player ICON

Downloaded Skype , Limeire and Vlc , all work well and have icons on the decktop that shows when you right click but only managed to get the Skype icon on the main opening decktop screen , I put skype in the correct position and its functions ok . Limewire and VLC work completely but cant get the icons to main desktop , i get small white rectangles where they should have been placed when i hover over the position with the pointer but wen i click to open the screen goes bluish white with only the aspire seacch bar , that still functions but nothing else does , have to quit and reeboot in the normal way via little red quit buton bottom right. I have acer aspire one netbook with Linux Lite and 120gb and 512mps but replaced firefox 2 with 3 again with no problems, Only had it a few weeks and everything functions as it should but im totaly new to linux.The icons are in the respective files and were downloaded with the programs as was skype , everythings the same so why have i got Skype icon where i want it and not the other 2 .

drfhm, Feb 28, 2009
Ask a Question