VLC Player

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ronboy17, May 18, 2009.

1. ronboy17

ronboy17

I have just got my Acer Aspire One and I want to install VLC player so I can watch DivX video files. Can someone tell me how to go about it as I have been told that it is not straitforward as it is with vista or XP. Or is there a better program to use ?.

Thanks...

ronboy17, May 18, 2009
  2. ronboy17

barrie

Hi ronboy17,

VLC is easy to install and personally I have not found any issues, you can use Macles method here.
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/11/inst ... linux.html

This is for Linux which I use, not windows, and you should have VLC up and running with just a few clicks. ;)

barrie, May 18, 2009
  3. ronboy17

ronboy17

Thanks barrie ! I am using Linux so that is ok. Did you have to uninstall the media player that is preinstalled or can i leave it on before installing VLC. I would like to keep the media player if it will still work alongside VLC.

Regards..Ron.

ronboy17, May 18, 2009
  4. ronboy17

barrie

Hi Ron,

It is fine to leave MP installed this will not cause you any problems.

barrie, May 18, 2009
  5. ronboy17

larkim

The only "problem" I have with the VLC install is that VLC hasn't become the default application for opening media files. Presumably there is a setting somewhere in Linpus to sort this, but I've not yet tracked it down. It doesn't particularly bother me as I have added the VLC icon to the Fun desktop area as the first item, and then moved MP to be the last, so all I do is click on the VLC icon and do a "file" "open". Its a couple more clicks, but I'm hardly in a rush when I want to watch a 2 hour movie!

Matt

larkim, May 20, 2009
Ask a Question