Volume on VLC player

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by graygod, Sep 10, 2008.

1. graygod

graygod

I just purchased an aspire one for my wife for our anniversary, and have been having small issues getting it working how I want. I am unexperienced with Linux, but thanks to all the help on this site I have managed to get almost everything how I want. I downloaded VLC player so that divx movies will play, and the picture quality is great, but the sound is atrocious. it's not staticy or anything, I just cant get it to play any louder than a whisper. I don't have this issue with MP3's through the media master app. They play at full volume. has anyone else had this issue or have any solutions? I'm giving it to her in 2 days and want to fix this issue.

graygod, Sep 10, 2008
  2. graygod

jcm

I've noticed that there is a sound issue with VLC player, but for me it wasn't the low volume of the sound being played, it was the static-like hiss whenever I turned the volume up beyond 20 %. You've probably already done this, but all I can recommend is to make sure your system has the latest updates via Live Update, as I believe there is a recent patch available for the audio driver.

jcm, Sep 10, 2008
  3. graygod

DragonC

Both VLC and the AA1 have a volume control. make sure both are set properly.

Oh and as jcm says, make sure you have the latest LiveUpdate to fix the static hiss problem.

DragonC, Sep 11, 2008
  4. graygod

chowwuikeung

I had a similar problem. Tried fiddling with the VLC and the master control volume and nothing worked. Turns out it was mplayer that was controlling it. (I went back to using Mplayer and playing with the volume there and it fixed the problem. I was scratching my head afterwards.)

chowwuikeung, Sep 12, 2008
  5. graygod

one23

I too had a similar problem with the sound quality. But I think it's now fixed by installing these 2 plugins: "sudo yum install python-vlc mozilla-vlc". I'm not sure why and also not sure whether this issue is related but it seems to work. But now I mainly control the volume from the One.

one23, Sep 12, 2008
  6. graygod

graygod

I tried the "sudo yum install python-vlc mozilla-vlc" already, and unfortunately it didnt help. any other suggestions?

graygod, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question