Wallpaper

Discussion in 'Linux' started by groeswenphil, Apr 10, 2009.

1. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

Hi group,

SO.................I know how to get rid of those great big buttons on the desktop and replace it with just a plain ordinary screen.

Phil
    I think I've found how to set a desktop wallpaper..........but after shut-down the desktop reverts to a plain blue background.
    I suspect that I have to add a background image into the background image folder but this is protected and a simple cut and paste or drag and drop doesn't work.
    Can anybody remind me of the terminal commands to move a file into a protected folder?

Only had this machine for a day.............love it.

groeswenphil, Apr 10, 2009
  2. groeswenphil

TheTilde

hi
    quick answer: in a terminal:
    sudo thunar
    and then you have a file manager with root privileges (be careful!)

TheTilde

TheTilde, Apr 10, 2009
  3. groeswenphil

solpuerto

Hi Phil

sudo thunar

Will allow you to copy and paste, you are looking for the backdrops folder under /user/share/xfce4

solpuerto, Apr 10, 2009
  4. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

You really are a gem aren't you :O)

Big thanks.

I'm popping out to buy myself a little address book with little alphabet tabs so that I can write down all of these little wisdoms, then be able to find them quickly.

Talking about wallpaper, have you seen digitalblasphemy.com?

Thanks,
    Phil

groeswenphil, Apr 10, 2009
  5. groeswenphil

charliee(:

heyy,
    so how exactly do you get a wallpaper on there then..
    because you dont actually tell us how to do it ?
    ..?

charliee(:, Apr 26, 2009
  6. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

First, get yourself some wallpaper...........I always like www.digitalblasphemy.com

Pick one that is the right resolution for your Aspire 1024 x 600
    Download it and save it. Then do as it says earlier sudo thunar in a terminal. This allows you to move your wallpaper file into the correct file on your Aspire.....which it explains earlier. BE CAREFUL> It's OK to copy in your wallpaper file but don't mess with anything else at the moment.
    Then go to Settings>Desktop settings and just under and to the right of the word FILE is a little doohdad that lets you pick the file that you just downloaded.
    Tell me how you get on.
    Phil

groeswenphil, Apr 26, 2009
  7. groeswenphil

charliee(:

sorry to be annoying..
    can you explain again cause im rubish with computers/laptops so i dont have a clue .. ?

8. groeswenphil

solpuerto

Hi charliee

I assume you have the standard Acer desktop.
    I suggest the first thing is to open the advanced desktop as it will give you a bit more functionality. You need to input some linux code.

Open Terminal by pressing the Alt key and F2 key's at the same time.
    Click run and you will see the Terminal command box.
    Type in the following,
    xfce-setting-show and then hit enter key. This will open a window.
    Click on Desktop and in the new window select the Behavior tab.
    Click on the box adjacent to Show desktop on right click and then close the window.
    When you now right click anywhere on the desktop you will be given a menu.

Now with this menu open select Settings and then Desktop Settings
    About 2/3 rds down the window you will see File, the printing is the file path to the backdrops folder where the wallpapers are stored.
    Click on the icon on the right of this and you will see a list of the standard wallpapers that came with your One, select what you want and close. You will see that the wallpaper has changed to the new selection.
    Now due to the standard Acer Desktop the wallpapers that are there are to suit that and not very exciting.

What this thread was about was to enable a user to copy/paste from a Pictures folder into the Backdrops folder. Remember that it is a background to the standard desktop so you will only see any part of a photo outside of the standard desktop.

Hope this is of some help, you will certainly find the new menu very helpful.

solpuerto, Apr 26, 2009
  9. groeswenphil

solpuerto

Hi Phil

How are you, sorry to cut across you, I must have been composing my post when you were doing yours.
    Hope it all helps any way.
    Best wishes

solpuerto, Apr 26, 2009
  10. groeswenphil

charliee(:

wooooo.. it workedd thankyouuuuuu :)
    dont suppose you know anything about the messenger on heree either lol ?

11. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

I was down to the part that says xfce-setting-show and for some reason my computer had frozen.
    When I get it back.....the job had been done for me.
    Thanks.

Did you find www.digitalblasphemy.com for wallpaper?

There's also some Linux wallpaper at http://gnome-look.org/

Can't help you with Messenger. No point in me using it as I have so few friends.

:(
    Phil

groeswenphil, Apr 26, 2009
  12. groeswenphil

charliee(:

no i have not got a picture on there as you cant see most of it .. so there isnt much point..
    ive just got a different colour..
    okay then..
    thanks anyway :)

13. groeswenphil

solpuerto

Hi charliee

I have used messanger but not able to get the video side to work. Most people seem to use Skype and get Video/audio to work on that. If you type Skype into the serch box, top right hand corner you will get some assistance from existing posts.

If you really want to have decent wallpapers showing you need to get rid of the standard Acer desktop. The method I followed is linked below,

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310

Looks daunting at first but is not that bad once you get started. Just follow the instructions in the first post.

solpuerto, Apr 26, 2009
  14. groeswenphil

Corneilius

Been thinking about changing desktop to wallpaper, but one of the things I like about the Linpus desktop is the startup speed.

Does putting wallpaper on the desktop slow down the boot up time? If so by how much? If its a few seconds than I might change, but if it puts 10 or 20 secs then I don't see the point. Might as well have windows.

Corneilius, Apr 27, 2009
  15. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

You know...........I don't think it slows it down at all. In fact, you already have a wallpaper. It's the grey stuff around the big coloured buttons.
    Have you managed to get the 'right click option' working? If so, right click near the top of the page and all sorts of options become available.

Phil

groeswenphil, Apr 27, 2009
  16. groeswenphil

Corneilius

Had right click for a long time, even had to reinstall Linpus after loosing my task bar after playing about with some settings, but I seem to remember on this forum a thread which mentioned that putting wallpaper or Ubuntu on the AAO slowed it down considerably.

My boot time is 15 secs to working desktop, around 40 secs to open browser connected wirelessly to the net, any ideas what the startup times are after putting wallpaper or ubuntu on the AAO?

Corneilius, Apr 27, 2009
  17. groeswenphil

solpuerto

Hi Cornellius

As Groesphil has said you have wallpaper/backdrop on your One at present so all you will be doing is changing that wallpaper.
    The problem with the standard Acer desktop is that their wallpaper is boring and fits around the window menu system. If you wanted to put a picture as your wall paper most of it will be hidden.
    Ubuntu has a slower boot time than Linpus, nothing to do with wallpaper.

Here is a wallpaper I have on Linpus and it boots just as fast as yours, but to achieve that you will need to modify your desktop.

[attachment=0:2uhg8qn5]Wireless1.png[/attachment:2uhg8qn5]

solpuerto, Apr 27, 2009
  18. groeswenphil

Corneilius

Thanks Solpuerto,

So all I need to do is follow the instructions on this thread, or do I need to modify the desktop as well?

I would like wallpaper, but I don't want to loose that boot speed. Are the modifications to the desktop difficult?

I am a reltive newby, so I am still a bit wairy.

Corneilius, Apr 29, 2009
  19. groeswenphil

groeswenphil

I can't see how you could lose boot speed as you already have a desktop wallpaper around the back of those big buttons..........(Which you can lose by the way)

Reverting back to the Aspire wallpaper is easy anyway.
    Phil

groeswenphil, Apr 29, 2009
  20. groeswenphil

solpuerto

Hi Corneillius

I was a newbie to the Aspire One and Linux back in October 2008 when I bought my One. It all seemed so far removed from Windows that I thought I had done the wrong thing. I made many mistakes and had to recover my system using the Acer recovery tool on several occasions.
    One of the first things I recommend is that you make a backup/restore USB. Look at this link and build one following Macles instructions.
    A tip, when in terminal it is best to copy and paste the instructions as it avoids typos.

http://macles.blogspot.com/search?updat ... -results=7

Once you have this it will give you confidence to try things knowing you can restore to your previous working position.

Yes you will need to modify the desktop but I can assure you I have found no difference in boot speeds. As you will see from my signature I can also boot Ubuntu and I did like it but once I changed my Linpus desktop I hardly ever use Ubuntu now. Another comment, though I eventually got wireless to work in Ubuntu the signal is not as strong as on Linpus. With Ubuntu and sat on top of my router I get a signal strength of about 86%, this reduces if I use it in another room and I cannot see some of my neighbours routers. With Linpus it is 100%.

As I said in a previous post above here is the link to what I followed,

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4310

It looks daunting at first, well it did to me, but if you follow it step by step it makes sense. The one section I had a problem with was line 6 about copy your wallpaper. Mainly because I was typing it but also because I had my pictures on an SD card and that changes the instruction. If you do follow it come back and I will give you an easier way of doing line 6.

Hope the above helps BUT get your backup/restore system in place.

solpuerto, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question