Wallpapers, customized layout, etc.?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Duke, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Duke

Duke

Can you change wallpapers and/or customize the layout in any way, customized icons etc., on the "One", Linpus Linux Lite?

Duke, Jul 10, 2008
  2. Duke

smacman

I don't think so. Some people are saying they can. On my machine, I could not. There was no advanced mode and no way of changing anything to do with the UI. Furthermore, there was no add/remove for applications. Linpus is history as I am now running Ubuntu. ;)

smacman, Jul 10, 2008
  3. Duke

dbs

You can edit the Xfce XML files which contain all the information and links to the images, so I assume you can change pretty much everything. It might be overwritten and set back to the default on reboot but it would just require a little change in the rc files to "fix" this. There is however a problem when they add additional features via upgrade that touch the interface as that would overwrite your customized changed for sure.

I like the default interface and I think they did a nice and easy accessable GUI there. It looks good and is easy to navigate. It's far too limited for someone who wants to use this device as a real notebook but if you just use it for what it was designed for it does these things very well. I have the feeling they will add more functionailty in the future, the build-in update function is perfect for that.

All in all I'm quite satisfied with it. Only problem I have is the hard way to upgrade the memory and the noisy fan that is running all the time.

dbs, Jul 10, 2008
  4. Duke

smacman

DBS,

Is there a normal desktop hidden behind this default interface? It would be great if we could turn it off.

smacman, Jul 10, 2008
  5. Duke

dbs

They are using a customized Xfce desktop environment with automatic login for the user "user". The easiest way I can think of would be to just create a new user and disable the auto-login or change it. This should get you a default desktop I assume. That's actually worth testing, if I have time I'll try this out this evening.

dbs, Jul 10, 2008
  6. Duke

Duke

Ok, since I don't know anything about Linux I'll pass. ;)

Noisy? The fan should be quiet according to the preview I read a couple of weeks ago?

Duke, Jul 10, 2008
  7. Duke

Guest Guest

I can't even hear my fan but it must be running as my aspire one isn't getting hot!

Guest, Jul 18, 2008
  8. Duke

Kev50027

You can easily change the background if you use advanced mode, it's in the Settings menu, then click Desktop Preferences, and under image you can select an image you want to use as a background. Remember that this display does not support many colors, so gradients will have banding, where you can see a line instead of a smooth transition from one color to another.

Kev50027, Jul 19, 2008
  9. Duke

gigiozzz

ok
    we can change the wallpaper (and even add more workspace) but the 4 menu (internet searchbar is filled only at first workspace) are always on top and they are filled to all workspace
    it would be nice if we could fill the 4 menu only to first workspace
    BUT
    i think it's not possible without change xfdesktop2 <<< is the binary modified by linpus
    maybe you could have a normal desktop chanching xfdesktop2 with xfdesktop-xfce
    in /etc/xdg/fce4-session/xfce-session.rc
    Client0_Command=xfdesktop-xfce

someone know where can i find the linpus source code??
    or if is possible to change the behavior of xfdestop2 ??

gigiozzz, Jul 19, 2008
  10. Duke

gigiozzz

you can customize the bottom
    type this from console
    xfce4-panel -a

gigiozzz, Jul 19, 2008
Ask a Question