Weak Wireless on AOA-150 (ZG5)

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by RockDoctor, Jul 23, 2010.

1. RockDoctor

RockDoctor

One of the few annoying aspects of my now two-year-old Aspire One (AOA-150; ZG5) is the strength of the wireless radio. Whether it's Windows XP, Fedora, or Ubuntu, the results are the same - the AA1 often fails to even detect a wireless signal in my motel room, while others, with full-sized laptops see the signal and connect with no problem. Just wondering if this is a common problem or if it's unique to my unit.

RockDoctor, Jul 23, 2010
  2. RockDoctor

bluevolume

Not common at all. I've had 4 different AAO's and they have all had great wireless reach.

You've probably got one of two problems. Either the antenna has come off of the wireless card, or the card itself is bad. Either problem is fairly simple to remedy once you get the machine taken apart. There's tutorials on this site that show you how to do it. Be careful not to bust any keys off the keyboard while you're removing it; that's the most common problem.

You can get a wireless board on ebay for less than $20 if thats what's wrong. Get a decent Dell one (broadcom) and you'll be better than new.

bluevolume, Jul 23, 2010
Ask a Question