WEBCAM HELL

Discussion in 'Windows' started by DEEJAY, Sep 11, 2008.

1. DEEJAY

DEEJAY

Hi to all,

I've got an A110 and installed xp sp3, everything is fine except for the webcam:

It is seen as USB video device and does not work with ANY instant messaging program.

I've tried BOTH drivers (Suyin and LiteON) to no avail:

During the installation they BOTH ask me to plugin the Acer Crystal Eye Webcam and stop there.

This is the 6th time I install different flavours of XP and Vista.

It's evidently NOT broken as it works perfectly in Linpus Lite.

C'mon guys lend a helping hand!!!

Marco

DEEJAY, Sep 11, 2008
  2. DEEJAY

maciek

don't know whats your problem but I installed vista and it works out of the box. Both Skype and MSN LIVE pick it up without configuration.

maciek, Sep 11, 2008
  3. DEEJAY

DEEJAY

Hi Maciek,

Thanks for that but I own a different model with regards to yours, I have an A110 with 1.5 Gb of ram and an 8GB SSD.

Anyone else?

Marco

DEEJAY, Sep 11, 2008
  4. DEEJAY

melhiore

Marco.

TBH I don't think it's anything to do with hardware config. There must be some problem with drivers or camera itself - even if it's working under Linux. Somwhere on this forum I found couple of similar reports about webcam - AFAIR after this communicate people were restarting AA1. This may help but I cannot guarantee that...

I never had similar problem purely because I prepared nLited version of WinXP installer with driver compiled into installation. And it worked straight w/o any problems....

melhiore, Sep 11, 2008
  5. DEEJAY

gustavoas

Hi all,
    I have a similar problem with my A150. The webcam was working fine out of the box. After one month use and installing multiple programs the webcam started showing a darker image, like a negative picture. I imagined it could be a driver issue (due to many programs installations) and performed a eRecovery. Then the nightmare started.
    First of all the webcam, that before was identified as an Acer Crystal Webcam, after restore showed up as a USB Video Device (standard XP SP3 driver); the webcam was not showing any image at all (only a dark screen) and I tested with many different programs. I tried to push the suyin driver (the one used before) but it simply did not recognize because of the PID identified on the Device Manager (0402&5608). Tweaking the file didn`t help also neither the Liteon (the other option).
    I looked for several files on the internet but could not find any with this PID. I`ve found one Bison driver that was accepted and changed the device name to Acer Crystal Webcam but the image was still in blank.
    Now I`m not sure anymore if this is a hardware issue or if it`s just a driver issue since many people report that the standard XP driver works out of the box.
    I bought my Acer in US but I live in Brazil and lost the receipt. Don`t know what to do anymore.... I tried to test using a linux pendrive installation I have but the webcam was not detected so I can not even be sure that the problem is not in the hardware...
    Any ideas? This other topic (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4471&p=30578&hilit=webcam+suyin#p30578) is talking about the same problem.

Thanks,
    Gustavo

gustavoas, Oct 4, 2008
  6. DEEJAY

melhiore

That's way I was planning to change OEM camera unit to one taken from EeePC. There is a couple of problems reported already about camera drivers. I believe there is also hardware problem...

melhiore, Oct 4, 2008
  7. DEEJAY

Dave in Eugene

You may just need to reset the device connection or driver. Might try going to device manager and just expand everything & see if something is in an error state - perhaps multiple instances of the webcam are in conflict or or something is off with one of the USB controllers or hubs. Just "remove" whatever is listed as "not working properly" or "unknown" and then refresh. If it comes back in an error condition again it is probably a hardware problem, but to be sure you can download the drivers from the Acer website and reinstall them.

Dave in Eugene, Oct 4, 2008
  8. DEEJAY

Tamrac

Try going into safe mode.... see if there are multiple instances of the webcam... uninstall everything. boot up windows, see if it detects the webcam again. My webcam works without any 3rd party drivers. just the drivers used by XP home sp3.

Tamrac, Oct 4, 2008
  9. DEEJAY

GvidoR

I think the problem is in Service Pack 3
    Once I installed Windows XP SP3 on my previous laptop, I couldn't get the sound working, so I reinstalled it back to Windows XP SP2 and it worked. Check under Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, do you see Service Pack 3 ? If you do, I would recommend to remove it, unless you think differently. ;)

GvidoR, Oct 10, 2008
  10. DEEJAY

Tamrac

I doubt that it's SP3.... Mine runs on XP Home SP3, and everything works. I did'nt even need a webcam driver, windows just installed it's own.

Tamrac, Oct 10, 2008
  11. DEEJAY

trepamuros

Try uninstalling the Suyin/Liteon driver from Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs. Delete the device from the Device Manager. Then run CCleaner and clean the registry. Reboot, let XP detect the cam, it will install the Microsoft driver which works perfectly on MSN and Skype.

You don't need to install the supplied webcam driver. Also, I discovered these drivers (both: Suyin and Liteon) causes problems when entering on Standby mode (blank screen, no standby, crash computer).

trepamuros, Oct 10, 2008
  12. DEEJAY

renderfox

I got trouble on my AA1 150 too,
    for those who has the webcam working, could you tell me what shown on the device manager for this kind of driver? ( capturing the picture and attach it here would be appreciate )
    because i don't see any 'imaging devices' on the device manager

renderfox, Oct 10, 2008
  13. DEEJAY

gustavoas

Mine shows up on the device manager normally and XP driver installs ok. But the webcam does not show any image, just a blank dark picture. Suyin and Lite on do not install, the only one that worked besides the XP standard driver is a Bison one. Can someone check which hardware PID you have on your Acer and which driver you are using?
    Thanks,
    Gustavo

gustavoas, Oct 11, 2008
  14. DEEJAY

jbrephan

When I got on the phone with Level II Techsupport at Acer - the guy had me go into the Device manager - the Chrystal eye Webcam shows up under "Imaging Devices" right click, choose Uninstall.

Download the WLAN Atheros v7.6.0.224 Driver from the Acer Website here: http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/ ... =&areaid=2

Install the driver... Restart - Windows will then recognize your webcam (look in the device driver - see above). You will then have to log into Windows Messanger or Yahoo messenger or skype to "see" your webcam.

Good Kuck
    Jay Rephan
    Nashville, TN

jbrephan, Oct 14, 2008
  15. DEEJAY

ccwh

Since i replace the webcam driver with Microsoft driver, i have no freeze in standby.
    It work ! :)

ccwh, Oct 14, 2008
  16. DEEJAY

renderfox

the webcam problem in my AA1 is still persist. I don't see 'imaging devices' in my driver manager . it seems it doesn't recognize the camera driver.

renderfox, Oct 15, 2008
  17. DEEJAY

jbrephan

Then just install the driver in my post above & restart - then go to the device manager & you should have the Webcam installed under "Imaging devices".

jbrephan, Oct 15, 2008
  18. DEEJAY

renderfox

I already did what you said. and I got no luck to get the driver up .

renderfox, Oct 15, 2008
  19. DEEJAY

jbrephan

Then your computer system has deeper problems than being able installing a Webcam Driver. Call Acer AspireOne Level II Tech Support. 1-866-695-2237 or 800-816-2237 for Level I.

jbrephan, Oct 16, 2008
  20. DEEJAY

gustavoas

Guys,

It still does not work. I tried this Atheros WLAN driver (which is strange since it seems a wifi driver) and still the same problem. The Device Manager shows the Imaging device as a USB Video Device but when I use any program (like wlm or even windows explorer) the image is just a black screen, no movement, nothing at all. I tried suyin, liteon, bison, all drivers I found, only one that worked was the bison but the same result: black screen.

The only last question before I`m sure the webcam module is really damaged is: can someone check on your Imaging Device Details the details on the Hardware Ids? Mine shows USB\Vid_0402&Pid_5608&MI_00. This hardware does not seem to accept the Suyin drivers. If someone has the same hardware ID, can you please let me know which driver you are using?

Thanks,

Gustavo

gustavoas, Oct 18, 2008
Ask a Question