Webcam in XP = slow?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by wongnog, Nov 15, 2008.

1. wongnog

wongnog

Hey guys. I have the AA1 with WinXP preinstalled (160GB hd), and the latest drivers for Acer Crystal Eye Webcam (CCD_LiteOn_v.5.8.33.1). So far I'ved used the webcam in Google Video Chat and also in the SUYIN NB Cam directory (found in C:\WINDOWS). I've noticed that the frame rate is quite choppy on my cam, it's clearly not doing 30 fps. There is a cam setup program in this directory (LiveCam.exe) that lets you set FPS, but it always seems to remain set at 30 even though the video results clearly don't look it. Is this just a limitation of the hardware? I can't seem to find any specs on the AA1 webcam at all. It'd be really nice if I could get smooth video streaming webchat on this cute little netbook. Thanks for all your help.

wongnog, Nov 15, 2008
  2. wongnog

Sniper257

Point it up at a ceiling light and see the speed go through the roof. It's a lighting thing.

Sniper257, Nov 15, 2008
  3. wongnog

wongnog

Hmmm nope didn't help on mine. The image looked nicer with more light but video was still on the choppy side. I tried Skype too but I think Google Video Chat was better. Also found Google Chrome to be a faster browser on my AA1 than Firefox, which was a bit bloated (maybe with my add-on extensions). I'm starting to wonder if it might be XP slowing things down, or maybe I should re-install the video drivers?

wongnog, Nov 15, 2008
  4. wongnog

wongnog

Just to give you guys an idea, I'm using the Acer OrbiCam software to record a webcam video. My test clip results say "Captured 40 frames in 10.7 sec (267 dropped): 3.7 fps 1.718 Meg/sec". 3.7 fps??? That's downright horrible!!! If you guys have any more tips for me I'm all ears. Thanks guys.

wongnog, Nov 16, 2008
  5. wongnog

solman

i recorded 3 clips using orbicam and came up with 3, 7 and 8 fps, and i increased the light level for the 2nd and 3rd tries. i'm sure i can increase the fps with better lighting, but i'm too lazy to try. lighting does make a difference, but i bet you'll never see 30fps. just because it's an option in the software doesn't mean the hardware is capable of it.

solman, Nov 16, 2008
Ask a Question