Webcam malfunction --Help!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Simple, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Simple

Simple

When I try to load my webcam, it says "No supported video capture device found", and going through my system information, I noticed on the multimedia tab that the webcam is marked as N/A, and also the 3G/WiMax on the networks tab is N/A.

Knowing that my camera was working last week, and it just stopped after installing a couple of applicatiions...

Now, how can I get my webcam to work?! Is it the driver that is missing? Should I restore my netbook to the factory settings? if so, then how? Please help!

Thanks in advance..

*edited*
    I managed to restore the netbook to its original settings using the recovery CD, and ran the live update..
    and after restarting, I found that the camera is still not working as well as the 3G/WiMax ..

Now I think the webcam is unplugged internally.. am I right?

Please help..

Simple, Oct 19, 2009
  2. Simple

markfletcher87

The same thing has happened to mine too.
    I'm on XP, using A1CTL fan control, which can disable the webcam.
    It just suddenly didn't show up one day, and doesn't show up on the device manager.
    I've got no idea what's gone wrong either!

markfletcher87, Nov 16, 2009
  3. Simple

Christoper

any solutions yet... I have the same problem :cry:

Christoper, Jul 18, 2010
  4. Simple

Christoper

Almost a year after and none still. Next year I will brave myself to open my AA01 and check the tiny wires of the camera ;)

Christoper, Mar 21, 2011
  5. Simple

elPaulio Moderator

Hi there,

I had a similar problem with my webcam working and then stopping for no apparant reason.
    I could still see mines in Device Manager but just couldnt get it to work.

I ended up replacing the camera module (very easy 5 minute job) with one I bought off of eBay.

It looks like the Acer Cameras are prone to dying internally and requiring replacement after some time (mines happened after about 9 months).

Personally I think my failure was due to excessive heat as I generally use my AAO with an external monitor at work but to save desk space I leave the lid shut, i.e. place the camera over the trackpad where the greatest heat build up is!!

Be brave, it's not really all that difficult to replace, just take your time and don't rush it and you'll be fine ;)

Paul :ugeek:

elPaulio, Mar 24, 2011
  6. Simple

Jules Tohpipi

I followed the advice above and bought a replacement webcam off eBay. Cost around £10 delivered. Easy job even for an inexperienced DIYer as you only need remove the screen bezel. Webcam function now working perfectly. Don't waste your time trying to solve a so-called software problem, it's 99% likely to be a hardware failure.

Jules Tohpipi, Apr 16, 2011
Ask a Question