webcam records without audio

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Aspiration, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Aspiration

Aspiration

I can use the webcam on skype and it sends both audio and video. Why doesn't the webcam app record audio while its recording video? And why does it store videos in the home folder instead of the video folder?

Aspiration, Apr 1, 2009
  2. Aspiration

daldred

<sigh>.

Somewhere up there above the stuff about how to post on the forum there is a message asking you to search before asking questions. Webcams and sound are a regular feature of this forum, largely because people don't bother to search before asking.

The webcam application doesn't record sound because Acer didn't write it that way. Why they did something that silly, no-one but Acer knows.

daldred, Apr 2, 2009
  3. Aspiration

sandkon

I had the same problem. Download and install the ucview patch from the live update and it should work. Site to go to if live update doesn't work is http://linpuscdn.040services.net/cdn/ACER/AspireOne/. Just choose your model number, open the directory and download the file marked ucview.sh and install it. After the webcam should record with sound. Mine certainly did.
    You can also install other patches this way.

sandkon, Apr 4, 2009
  4. Aspiration

Aspiration

I just ran the live update and it installed about a dozen updates. Now the mic works fine on the webcam program! Am I ever happy with that update because I can now use the netbook as a video recorder.
    There is this security idea using skype. Setup two accounts and on the netbook set skype to automatically start video chats with your contacts. Add the contact for the other computer so that if the computer goes missing you might be able to see where it is. haha.
    Fun idea. Works good. Can even hear what goes on.
    :mrgreen: Go green!

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
Ask a Question