webcam

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bub, Feb 21, 2009.

1. bub

bub

hi pretty new here. Need help. I want to use the webcam to record myself and put on my blog. It records but with no sound. Is this normal? Checked the vol seems okay.

bub, Feb 21, 2009
  2. bub

daldred

Searching on 'webcam sound' brought up three posts on the first page confirming that sound doesn't work on the webcam app which is shipped with the One. I'd suggest you have a look at those threads and see what options were suggested.

daldred, Feb 21, 2009
  3. bub

bub

thanks

bub, Feb 21, 2009
  4. bub

Aspiration

Hey, thanks for the info. I can't get it to record audio either. But it works fine on skype. Any other way to record video and audio on Linpus?

Aspiration, Apr 1, 2009
  5. bub

Aspiration

how did you find the 3 posts about sound? I can't find that on the help menu.

Aspiration, Apr 1, 2009
  6. bub

barrie

barrie, Apr 1, 2009
  7. bub

daldred

What help menu?

In the search box (top left of the forum you're looking at) tyoe "webcam sound". In the results pages which come up, you'll have to go back a few (click on the numbered links at the bottom of the list) : about three back you'll find my post of 21 Feb. Within a dozen back from thgere you'll find the relevant threads.

daldred, Apr 2, 2009
  8. bub

sandkon

sandkon, Apr 4, 2009
  9. bub

Aspiration

I think they must have deleted posts prior to March. Went to page one and nothing from Feb is available.

How do I figure out which download is for my computer? Didn't see anything that even looked like it had info on which version I need.

Aspiration, Apr 4, 2009
  10. bub

daldred

A live update will now upgrade ucview and make sound work with webcam.

daldred, Apr 5, 2009
  11. bub

Aspiration

Really, that's good news. I will go see if there is an update now.

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  12. bub

Aspiration

I did the upgrade but it hosed my connection and lost track of what was setup.
    Had to click on the tray icon and reselect the network.

Hey... it no longer saves the webcam video as .ogg but as .mpg now. I can hear the audio. Works great! This little computer makes a great movie camera too!

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  13. bub

LisaKirsty

Don't mean to bump - but I have upgraded (Live Update tells me there are no more updates and the *.sh patch mentioned earlier returns a message similar to "This patch has already been installed") - I tried once more with video capture and mic capture along with mic boost on the webcam app, but still no sound. It saves as an .mpg now, but other than that..?

And ideas?

LisaKirsty, Apr 6, 2009
  14. bub

Aspiration

:evil: If you have skype installed, try using the test contact in skype and see if audio is sent to the server OK. :D I had almost a dozen new updates to do so it took a while before it was done. :shock: If the skype connection works okay then it must be something not setup properly during one of the installs. I'm just a newbie here too. :arrow: Not sure what to suggest other than to see if its a program specific problem by testing skype. My preferences were also hosed after the installs. :x I had to go into the webcam and reselect the video and picture folders so it wouldn't surprise me if it hosed something else as well. :? Linux sure has its excess of problems from what I've seen so far but I like the desktop folder idea so I'll run it for a while yet and hope I don't mess anything up because I have no idea how I would reinstall everything seeing that it probably wouldn't be able to boot off an external dvd and without a tested usb stick boot there's no way of knowing if that would work either.
    :? Maybe I could try holding down F12 during boot and see if it even finds the dvd or usb stick. Too scared it might screw something up like boot off the usb and reinstall from scratch again.

I have done very little change to the original install other than adding skype and the advance right click menu. Still using firefox 2. It could be that if you've done some changes to the system that it may not have liked the changes. Perhaps some of the other people on here might be able to help. Hope so...

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  15. bub

Aspiration

Re: webcam. Wrong input device?

If you have a microphone you can plug into the jack, see if it records the audio there. Maybe the computer has selected the wrong input device?

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
  16. bub

LisaKirsty

All I have done so far is change the childish interface to a cleaner desktop with the help of RJM's lovely 10-step how-to and also enable right-click menu.

Is this "Mic Source" in the web cam's own options? If so, all I get is a "Video Source" option.

Thanks!

Any ideas, anyone?

LisaKirsty, Apr 6, 2009
  17. bub

Aspiration

no its in your right click on desktop advanced menu under the systems menu, then audio menu.
    Change source there and mic gain levels.

Aspiration, Apr 6, 2009
Ask a Question