WebDAV mounting help - nearly there....

Discussion in 'Networking' started by the_angry_monkey, Dec 30, 2008.

1. the_angry_monkey

the_angry_monkey

Hey - quick plea for help before I tear my hair out! I have just got myself a storegate account with WebDAV. I have been trying to mount the storegate account on my AAO as a new drive. So far it works reasonably until I try to access it. Anyway I have followed these directions http://www.linux.com/feature/146306 to use the wdfs program. Thus far I have installed both the required programs.
    I decided after failing to create a working folder in /mnt/ to mount my WedDav to, instead to simply use on one the spares (I assume I can do this) Therefore I ran the follwing command

sudo wdfs https://webdav.storegate.se/<myusername> /mnt/cdrom2 -o username=<myusername> -o password=<mypassword>

Essentially this resulted in no error message and when I am in word the cdrom2 drive appears as an option (although not in the Linpus file explorer) however when I try to access the webdav drive (cdrom2) I get the following message

error accessing 'file:///mnt/cdrom2': Access denied

Is this down to persmissions - are normal users automatically disallowed from using root mounts? Any help would be great. Cheers

Alex

EDIT

if I go into xterm I can use the cd command to gain access to the folder as root - this is driving me nuts!

$su
    #cd /mnt/cdrom2
    #dir
    Backup Documents Music Pictures

the_angry_monkey, Dec 30, 2008
  2. the_angry_monkey

the_angry_monkey

OK I seem to have come up with a rather inelegant solution.

First I changed the file permissions on /mnt/cdrom2 to rwxrwxrwx by doing the following

chmod 777 /mnt/cdrom2

then I ran the wdfs command to create the network share and mount it

wdfs https://webdav.storegate.se/<myuser> /mnt/cdrom2 -o username=<myuser> -o password=<mypass>

Now because I changed the file permissions on cdrom2 I did not have to run the wdfs under the sudo command so it was accessible to all.

Now I can access cdrom2 in any program and save/load files from it. However it still does not appear as a drive in the native file manager and I am sure I have not done this in the best way. I can navigate to it in the file system however by manually entering /mnt/cdrom2

I have also written (tried) a short script to automate the process however it often just creates a text called typescript file or alternatively if I rename it to something more useful than "script" refuses to work at all. Script contents:

#!/bin/bash
    chmod 777 /mnt/cdrom2
    wdfs https://webdav.storegate.se/apf102 /mnt/cdrom2 -o username=apf102 -o password=102apf
    chmod 755 /mnt/cdrom2

Anyone who knows how to make this run smoothly, your help would be apprecated

the_angry_monkey, Dec 31, 2008
  3. the_angry_monkey

fweigel

I think I can help...

First, create your mount directory in /mnt/home

For example:

mkdir /mnt/home/webfs

Now, make sure that ownership of the directory is correct:

chown user:user /mnt/home/webfs

And, chmod if you want (I would recommend 777 anyway; this is your PERSONAL machine, after all). Note that directories created by root will be owned by root - the chown is "change owner" and takes care of it.

Files under /mnt/home are merged with any left-side SD chip, and /home/user. /mnt/home is what shows up in the file manager. If you put the mount point under /home/user, it will appear EMPTY in the file manager.

Linux has something called "automounter" which will do the mount on the first access.

Look for "automount" in the packages, and install it. There will be a file "/etc/auto.master" which can run scripts to mount file systems on first access. Also, after a period of inactivity, the file systems are automatically unmounted as well. Look on the web for tutorials -- if you need more info, just reply here.

fweigel, Mar 31, 2009
  4. the_angry_monkey

sjgknight

A late response to this. I wonder if anyone has any information on installing wdfs on aa1 running linpus (the crucial first step in mounting any network drive I believe)

Cheers,

sk

sjgknight, Jun 22, 2009
  5. the_angry_monkey

fweigel

Have you tried

sudo yum install wdfs

Worked for me.

fweigel, Aug 8, 2009
Ask a Question