WEP key not working

Discussion in 'Networking' started by traceydw, Jan 12, 2009.

1. traceydw

traceydw

I'm a complete newbie as regards linux so am on a steep learning curve with my new Aspire One A110. Despite much searching, I haven't been able to get it to connect to my wi-fi network unless I turn off encryption. My router is an old D-Link DI-624 and only supports WEP. I have MAC filtering enabled.

The AAO will connect to the unsecured network with just MAC filtering in place but can't connect with either ASCII or HEX keys (128-bit) when the WEP encryption is enabled. I may have to resort to a new router but don't really like to be defeated by this sort of stuff (it's just taken me all day to get VLC installed!) so if anyone has any ideas, I'd be really grateful. I've installed all the Live Updates and am just at a loss with what else to try.

Thanks,

Tracey

traceydw, Jan 12, 2009
  2. traceydw

meng

My experience with a DLink wireless router/modem (DSL604T) was so bad that I got a new router. That said, I think you probably want to enter a 128-bit WEP PASSPHRASE, not an ASCII or HEX key when the AAO asks for it - are you given that option? Also, I would advise not using any special characters (e.g., "!") in choosing a passphrase on the DLink (i.e., limit yourself to alphanumeric and spaces). Finally, I find that when you change settings on the router, you may need to shut down the AAO entirely and then try to reconnect.

meng, Jan 12, 2009
  3. traceydw

traceydw

Thanks for the reply - I think I may be getting a new router, too!

The D-Link only has ASCII/HEX options, not a passphrase. I have tried a 13-digit alphanumeric ASCII key, which works fine on my Windows PCs but the AAO just can't connect.

I hadn't tried rebooting the AAO when I changed the key but, having tried it now there's still no joy.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Tracey

traceydw, Jan 12, 2009
Ask a Question