What am I doing wrong ? - installing win7

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Bramster, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Bramster

Bramster

- I insert the official Win7 Home Premium disk in my Acer External DVD drive
    - Boot sequence has the HDD at the last positions (1 IDE CD, 2 PCI BEW, 3 USB CDROM, 4 USB FDC, 5 USB KEY, 6 IDE HDD STblablabla-(PM) )
    - I fire up my 751h

But it does not boot to the Win7 dvd :-(

I checked the dvd on my desktop system and it is definately bootable.

What am I doing wrong

I did notice there is mentioning of dvd in the bios bootmenu at all ?!?

Bramster, Dec 11, 2009
  2. Bramster

kered424

Try moving USB CDROM to #1 since I'm assuming you're using a USB DVD Drive to install win 7.
    If not, you can press F12 when it first boots up to go to the boot menu and select USB CDROM.

Some other possibilities:
    Are you using 32bit or 64bit? 64bit does not work with this model.
    If you have one of those slim USB drives, you might not be giving it enough power.

kered424, Dec 11, 2009
  3. Bramster

Bramster

Thanks for the help !

Did that, did not help

No cd or dvd present in that menu

32, although Microsoft mailed me the 64bit DVD as well.

I doubt that. The cd rom runs fine and is from Acer. Running is not the problem (installing after booting works perfectly), but booting from the cd rom is the problem.

Bramster, Dec 11, 2009
  4. Bramster

Eosblue

The USB CDRom drive should be selected as #1 and the IDE HDD should be #2. The rest of the options have no bearing on the Win 7 installation. As you probably observed, it's a bit tricky getting into CMOS. You have to hit the F2 key exactly at the right moment or you will breeze right by the CMOS menu and boot to Windows. While it shouldn't make any difference at your problem state, are you trying to install the "upgrade" version or the "full" version?

As pointed out above, you should probably use the 32bit edition. My package came with 2 DVDs (one 32bit and one 64bit).

My external DVD drive is externally powered. Is your's USB powered as it might not have the juice to run correctly. The only other suggestion I have would be to try the other USB ports.

My external DVD drive is a no-namer that I bought used from eBay about 2 years ago.

The above method give a "clean" install. I think you can do the same thing from within Windows. Load the Win 7 DVD and select "install". Using that procedure may also require the CMOS to have the DVD selected as the first boot option since there is a few reboots when installing Win 7. I'm not sure if the reboots access the DVD or the HD first in this process.

Eosblue, Dec 12, 2009
  5. Bramster

Bramster

The reason that I need to boot from the windos install dvd is that I want to delet all my partition in order to get rid of the recovery section and the xp install.

I tried all the usb ports and tweaked the boot options in the bios. It all did not help.

In the end I went out and bought a new (>4gb) USBstick and used my desktop PC and that microsoft-tool-thingy

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool
    http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Buit first make an ISO of your Win7 install disk
    http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm

After doing that I simply used the USB stick to install Win7. And I finally got rid (something the whizzkids in these forums could not solve)( of that dreaded xp partition, recovery partition and multiboot menu.

BTW: I first thought my bios was too old. So I flashed that too. No changes

Bramster

Bramster, Dec 12, 2009
Ask a Question