what is "Error 17"?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by scooble, Oct 11, 2008.

1. scooble

scooble

I just switched on my Aspire one today, and I got a text message saying "Error 17". It was working fine last night, and now all of a sudden it doesn't. Not quite sure if its a hardware problem, or Operating system problem. Oh, I did a search on the forum for "Error 17" and it came up with 1298 posts that contained the word "Error", it wouldn't allow me to search on just "17". Some help would be appreciated.

scooble, Oct 11, 2008
  2. scooble

qasar.es

If it was booting, it is probably grub error 17. You can google "grub error 17" to discover that error 17 indicates that GRUB can't identify the partition type.

qasar.es, Oct 11, 2008
  3. scooble

BlackLagoon

Sounds like your disk has been corrupted. If you know your way around a computer, I'd recommend using Unetbootin to create a Parted Magic USB stick, and try to restore your system from it with TestDisk. Otherwise, the simple solution is to do a system restore.

BlackLagoon, Oct 11, 2008
  4. scooble

thatisandwas

I believe i had error 17 once and i went into BIOS and it turned out the boot order wasn't set properly, after i reset it to boot from the HDD first, everything worked fine.

thatisandwas, Oct 11, 2008
Ask a Question