What is in the box?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by joost68, Sep 8, 2008.

1. joost68

joost68

What is supposed to be in the box when you buy a Aspire One A110? I just bought one, it was the last in the shop and the box had been opened before. The salesperson did not have a clue, all he could say that everything was in the box.
    In my box there was the laptop, charged battery, some manuals, battery charger ... but no CD/DVD. Should there be a CD/DVD included in the package?
    Thanks.

joost68, Sep 8, 2008
  2. joost68

sgtslwilson

Mine didn't include one.

sgtslwilson, Sep 8, 2008
  3. joost68

Andysan

Mine came with the following:

Acer Aspire One
    Case
    Battery
    Documentation
    Recovery CD
    Charger

I would suggest you return it. The ISO of the CD can be acquired, off of the net but i question the legality of this, and do not condone it if it's illegal.

Andysan, Sep 8, 2008
  4. joost68

Guest Guest

Mine is the 8gb linux model. It came with:
    Acer
    Battery
    Charger
    Recovery CD
    Manuals and stuff.

Is yours Linux or Windows? Does the Windows version come with a recovery CD? Or is it built into a partition of the Hard drive?

Guest, Sep 8, 2008
  5. joost68

blackjack

As mentioned elsewhere here, the Windows version doesn't come with a recovery CD/DVD, and as you guessed, instead puts a recovery image (I think) on a separate hard drive partition.

There has been much understandable hand-wringing (me included) about it because what do you do if the hard drive fails altogether? Supposedly you can order a sort of generic XP recovery CD/DVD via the Acer site (link: https://secure3.tx.acer.com/RCD/Main.aspx) but folks have been told it'll take a couple weeks or more before they receive it (at least there was one post to that effect). I guess it was too much to ask Acer to include a recovery USB stick drive.

I also guess technically I have a couple XP system restore CD/DVDs from my last two PCs, but mine also were set to install a lot of garbage-ware present on new big-brand PCs.

blackjack, Sep 8, 2008
  6. joost68

kentris

In regards to the recovery partition on the XP, a member on here has already made a copy of the partition and uploaded it as a torrent.

You can actually download it from torrent websites. Just search for "Unofficial Acer One Recovery" or something like that. He intended it as a recovery CD for those who are inexperienced with computers and makes it easier for everyone else.

kentris, Sep 8, 2008
  7. joost68

blackjack

Thanks, here's that thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2445&p=16362&hilit=Unofficial+Acer+One+Recovery#p16362

Though, I hope at some point someone actually uses it and can vouch it worked for them. :) Well, I guess I don't really hope that happens because that would mean the hard drive crapped out. :p

btw, this thread title reminded me of the movie "Seven." "What's in the box? Tell me what's in the box!!" :twisted: :lol:

blackjack, Sep 8, 2008
  8. joost68

joost68

Thanks for all the answers. I have the Linux version of the A110. As I said mine did not include a recovery-dvd. I guess its time to complain to the shop.

joost68, Sep 9, 2008
  9. joost68

joost68

I phoned the Acer helpline (the Belgian one). After allot of discussion they finally agreed that there should be a recovery-dvd in the box. The good part is that they will send it with snailmail. :D

joost68, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question