What is the best way to mount a Win XP drive in Linpus?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by Ballistic, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic

Hi - I have done various searches in the forum and in google and there appears to be multiple ways to do this by installing various applets or utilities and to confuse matters they seem to vary depending on which flavour of linux you have. So my question is...

What is the best way to mount a windows drive in Linpus preferably in a way that can reconnect at the click of an icon or by finding the drive in file manager or such like? Idiot steps would be useful. ;)

Ballistic, Dec 28, 2008
  2. Ballistic

chupachups

you are in luck, I worked this out a few days ago

you don't need any additional software on the AAO (despite all the waffle other posts seem to be loaded with, seems they want to share AAO files on windows, not windows files on the AAO)

you can connect to shared windows drives by the following
    change to root (nb I already created a directory /mnt/home/Share
    su -
    mount -t cifs -o user=your_windows_user_id,password=your_windows_password //your_windows_pc/windows_shared_directory /mnt/home/Share

you will now find all users have a readonly Share directory (under their home directory) that points to the windows share

to unmount the windows share
    su -
    umount /mnt/home/Share

Can people feedback to confirm it works on you AAO (or otherwise)

NB I connected to a windows 2000 share, not an XP one, not sure if this makes a difference

NB2, I believe instead of su -, you might be able to use sudo, which might help with creating a launcher to do this automatically

NB3 //your_windows_pc can either be an ip address, or better still a hostname

NB4 there must not be a space between the userid and password, only a comma, don't know why, it doesn't work if there is

chupachups, Dec 28, 2008
  3. Ballistic

stoic

many thanks for that. I have just been able to mount my NAS drive, a Terastation.

I used
    sudo mount -t cifs -o user=aaa,password=bbb //192.168.1.22/share /home/user/Documents/shared_S_home_drive
    (using the correct user and password of course)

But the file manager, Thunar, does not show any of the files in the drive. If I use Terminal I can see the files, ie cd the the dir names and ls -lrt to see them. Any idea how I can get the files to appear in the file manager?

Also when I try gThumb to browse to /home/user/Documents/shared_S_home_drive I dont see any files either.
    Thanks

stoic, Dec 30, 2008
  4. Ballistic

chupachups

perhaps this is a directory permissions problem ? or files within that directory inheriting the directory permissions

can you tell me what the following shows

ls -ld /home/user/Documents/shared_S_home_drive

for me, the equivalent shows

[root@acer ~]# ls -ld /mnt/home/Share
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 2008-12-29 21:57 /mnt/home/Share

chupachups, Dec 31, 2008
  5. Ballistic

Ballistic

Hi chupachups

Absolutely perfect. I did faf about for an hour with "mount error 13" but when I finally had the syntax of my data share names and folders correct plus I was using the wrong password for half hour - then it all worked perectly with no fuss. Exactly what I needed. I now have an almost endless supply of data storage on my tina aa1.

cheers.

Ballistic, Jan 1, 2009
  6. Ballistic

stoic

it gives

[user@localhost ~]$ ls -ld /home/user/Documents/shared_S_home_drive
    drwxrwxrwx 15 root root 0 2008-11-30 16:13 /home/user/Documents/shared_S_home_drive

Note the file names are highlighted in green background

stoic, Jan 1, 2009
  7. Ballistic

Ballistic

I meant on my TINY aa1, I have not given it a girls name.

Ballistic, Jan 1, 2009
  8. Ballistic

stoic

following on from my message ...

thinking about this, I am not connecting to a drive in a windows box, but to a drive in a NAS box
    so the synatx of 'user=your_windows_user_id,password=your_windows_password' is not right or relevant.

The Terastation has Shared Folder Support: 'Windows' and 'Apple' selected.
    and Access Restrictions disabled. I will check up on their support site.

stoic, Jan 1, 2009
  9. Ballistic

Ballistic

This probably is the best way to attach a drive, however I did manage to crash both the media player and the volume control aplet by clicking thought my music collection on the windows share from one track to another - so whether I exceeded the abilities of cifs or the media player or limpus I don't know. If it becomes a prblem, I will need to look into it. But to anyone reading this, I still say bloody good approach to mapping a windows share.

Ballistic, Jan 1, 2009
  10. Ballistic

Fairnuf

I would like to connect to my windows XP PC. I don't have a password set up on it though so would I just enter password=////your_windows_pc/windows_shared_directory /mnt/home/Share (without a space) or
    password= ////your_windows_pc/windows_shared_directory /mnt/home/Share (with a space) or not mention password= at all?

Cheers

Fairnuf, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question