What is wrong with my new laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by UpgradeMyTech, Aug 23, 2023.

1. UpgradeMyTech

UpgradeMyTech

Hi all, I was hoping somebody might be able to help me with some issues I'm having with my new laptop. I bought a new laptop about a month ago and am experiencing disappointing performance for certain tasks. For these tasks it performs far slower than my 3 year older laptop, which I don't understand as the specs are a lot higher with the new one.

New Laptop: MSI Pulse 17 B13VGK-093AU (https://au.msi.com/Laptop/Pulse-17-B13VX/Specification)

Old Laptop: MSI GL75 9SD (https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GL75-9SX-GTX/Specification)

The tasks that are notably slower (on average) compared to the old laptop:

1) Virus scans
    2) installing (especially getting the install to commence) and uninstalling apps
    3) Installing new nVidia drivers takes about 3 times as long as it did on the old laptop
    4) Opening and closing nVidia control panel, opening and changing settings in Geforce Experience
    5) Steam installing new games and running them for the first time

Other than these above tasks, the laptop is fast and I am happy with the performance. I have done a clean format and changed partitions to have more space. There is over 250GB free space on the SSD.

I am thinking of installing a 2TB SSD and increasing ram to 16GBx2, but would rather like to know if my laptop is faulty before I do. I bought it from a reputable computer store in Australia (both laptops are from the same store).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for your time,
    UpgradeMyTech.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
    UpgradeMyTech, Aug 23, 2023
Ask a Question