What to do if window is taller than 600 pixels?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by K7AGE, Nov 13, 2008.

1. K7AGE

K7AGE

Hi,

I just received my XP machine.

I was loading some new software, and one of the windows that opened was taller than 600 pixels. This window was non-re-sizeable.

Has anyone come across any tricks to move the window around in order to get to buttons that may be cut off due to the screen height?

Thanks,

Randy
    K7AGE

K7AGE, Nov 13, 2008
  2. K7AGE

Tamrac

unfortunately, no.

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  3. K7AGE

solman

if you feel comfortable editing your registry, you can add the two entries below to increase the "desktop size." it lets you choose a higher screen resolution mode but still maintain a 1024x600 screen size. it's not a pretty fix, but does what it needs to do.

once you enter the registry entries, go to graphics properties and choose a higher screen resolution. you don't need to reboot after any changes.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ialm\Device0
    "PruningMode"=dword:00000000
    "Display1_DownScalingSupported"=dword:00000001

solman, Nov 13, 2008
  4. K7AGE

ryoo818

Another alternative would be to use a vwm, or any virtual desktop manager. They typically provide methods of moving windows without having the grab the top of the window itself.

ryoo818, Nov 13, 2008
  5. K7AGE

Forone

The A1ctl fan control software (free) for XP has a neat little "Screen" selection to resize to a more standard 1024X768 (use "downscaling" with the setting) - if this will fit your problem window give it a try. I found it worked well, but disappeared on reboot. You might like the fan control, too.

http://nodadev.wordpress.com/pc-projects/a1ctl/

Forone, Nov 13, 2008
  6. K7AGE

nucmanchh

How about using the F11 key. It will toggle back and forth between full screen and the default screen

nucmanchh, Nov 14, 2008
  7. K7AGE

stevenlb

If you have the Windows version AAO, you can click on the Intel video manager in your systray (should be a blue icon) and rotate the display 90 degrees.

stevenlb, Nov 18, 2008
  8. K7AGE

foxtail

How about just going into the device manager, video, adv. setting and change the hide modes not listed and un-check it. Should be able to increase video to what it will go. If you move the mouse around the screen, it will move to it. If you use an ext monitor, should be no problems.

foxtail, Nov 18, 2008
  9. K7AGE

KiNG

yes this works.

KiNG, Dec 1, 2008
  10. K7AGE

afser

If this is windows you can also try to move the window around. Right click on the taskbar, say move, you should be able to move the window around using the arrow keys. When you get it where you want hit enter.

Keyboard shortcut is : Alt + Space then M instead of right clicking taskbar and selecting move. :)

/A

afser, Dec 12, 2008
  11. K7AGE

lohtse

Personal I use a1ctl.. This was you can switch to 1024x768 quickly then downscale to fit all data on screen with out the need to scroll around the screen. It's simple all there at a glance.... And you even have the bonus of more tweaks with a1ctl... give it a try am sure you will agree it's a dam fine piece of software.

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 12, 2008
Ask a Question