Whats better, Windows Home XP or Windows 7 Ultimate?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by nwo4life, Jan 16, 2010.

1. nwo4life

nwo4life

Hi guys,
    just wondering which software you prefer and would run and work better on an Acer Aspire
    One ZG5 160GB 8.9" model ??
    Also, which Windows version takes the least amount of disk space after installed?

Thanks

nwo4life, Jan 16, 2010
  2. nwo4life

Bloodstar

Least space? XP, by far.

However, I prefer to run Windows 7 on my Aspire One. I've been thinking of leaving XP on a separate partition and making it a part of my multiboot once I get it back, though. No real performance hits, though... 7's even run better at times.

Bloodstar, Jan 16, 2010
  3. nwo4life

Calavera

I was kinda wondering the same thing, I have the AAO ZG5 8.9" with Intel Atom N270, 1GB RAM and a 120GB HDD.
    It's currently running the Win XP Home that came with it, but now that I can get free W7 Pro via my uni I thought of upgrading.

Thing is, the XP on it now runs well, apart from a bit of WLAN-instability, and does everything I need of it (movies, surfing, officer and maybe a old game or two), and fast; 5 sec to get out of sleep and 30 sec to start up.
    I don't know if I would benefit from upgrading to W7 Pro?
    Do I get anything but the coolness factor and some blingbling for the eyes?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for borrowing your thread. ;)

Calavera, Jan 16, 2010
  4. nwo4life

nwo4life

oh, so how much space does...

a) Windows XP home version take ?

compared to

b) Windows 7 Ultimate?

nwo4life, Jan 16, 2010
  5. nwo4life

Forone

Forone, Jan 18, 2010
  6. nwo4life

simbeb

I support entirely Bloodstar's response:
    -7 takes a bit more space but does it really matter on a 160gb drive?
    -have a multiboot and keep running all your favourite OSes. I have Linux Ubuntu, Windows XP and Windows 7 on mine. Why chose when you can have everything?
    -For an equal response capacity on the AA1, I'd rather run 7 if I had to choose. It's almost faultless, it installs all the needed drivers automatically, its automatic troubleshooting and XP compatibility engines are fantastic, it looks better and is more future-proof than XP. And that's from someone who gave up on Vista after a week (on the main PC) and had been using XP for 7 years...

simbeb, Jan 18, 2010
  7. nwo4life

tttonyyy

Used to run XP, now run 7 - can't say I've noticed any performance difference aside from 7's boot times being a bit faster, and it looking a little swisher (though Aero transparency is turned off when you're running on battery to save power).

tttonyyy, Jan 21, 2010
  8. nwo4life

Paisley Pirate

After struggling with my ZG5 for a week with Windows 7, I switched back to XP.

My experience was, although the "sounder" came up in about the same time (47 versus 43 seconds from cold start) 7 didn't finish loading for nearly 5 minutes. XP was done in about 2-1/2.

My XP wi-fi experience has been wonderful (with one exception, and that was the hotel I was at, NOT my end, we eventually found out) but with 7 I was having dropouts from time to time...

And don't even get me started on the microphone issues... corruption of drivers that wouldn't allow for a change of driver... figured this out after reverting back to XP (and after tearing my AAO completely apart thinking there was no way it was software, and doing a component test on the mic. Yeah, good times...)

Let alone my personal peeve against Micro$oft regarding their neverending quest to make new OS break competing companies software/hardware... NMEA drivers from DeLorme GPS unit while using MS Streets and Trips 2009... it has to do with Virtual Serial Ports on USB... So, any company that wrote anything with extended serial capabilities to USB had to change their code for VSP if that's how they approached them...

All that said, I *like* 7. I really do. I just wish that everything would do as promised and work right out of the box... I'm gonna wait 6 months or so, and hopefully the driver issues I was hit with will be straightened out.

Oh, and that is a MS thing, not just AAO... my wifes HP TouchSmart desktop... when I upgraded it to 7, had issues with the TouchSmart specific software... contacted HP, they said, well, try putting that software back on... did, no change, well then you will have to revert back to Vista and reinstall Win7 on it. Thanks for using HP... yeah... wow... 2 steps, then REINSTALL!!!???? WTF????

Sledgehammers and gnats... just sayin'....

Paisley Pirate, Feb 14, 2010
Ask a Question