Whats good about Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by azz2811, Dec 22, 2008.

1. azz2811

azz2811

basically the title says what i want to know i was just wondering what is better about it and why people are installing it?

thanks

azz2811, Dec 22, 2008
  2. azz2811

arthurinparis

I would say that it depends on your AAO. If you have the WIn Xp version, I don't think you should install it. You can surely play with the Live CD version available at ubuntu.com
    I am a Windows guy and when I bought my AAO I assumed I was good enough handling computers that Linux and Linpus wouldn't be that bad. As it turns out, if you use the Linpus version, be prepared to visit that forum at least TWICE a day...

Ubuntu is pretty nice because it feels a little bit like Windows in its handling but still have the things that make Linux enjoyable. Beware though it is a different OS so different rules apply...A lot of people, including myself, read the average user, expect in Linux a sort of Windows 2.0. Well it ain't period....It's just different, you're free to like it or not....

Compared to the Acer's Linpus, it lets you enjoy the Linux experience to the fullest in the easiest ways...or at least the closest from Windows...

Good luck man

arthurinparis, Dec 22, 2008
  3. azz2811

RockDoctor

If you have WinXP, I definitely think you should install it. It was the first thing I installed on my AOA150-1570.

RockDoctor, Dec 22, 2008
  4. azz2811

Guest Guest

It has 3d desktop, kinda cool

Guest, Dec 23, 2008
  5. azz2811

KillerStephen

I would say the best thing about ubuntu is the community and support offered. I use windows personally though.

KillerStephen, Dec 23, 2008
  6. azz2811

azz2811

thanks for all the replys i think that i might install it just to see what linux is like. what is the best linux os??

thanks

azz2811, Dec 23, 2008
  7. azz2811

spinnekopje

That's something you have to find out yourself.

I'm happy with ubuntu now, but I keep looking at other options.

spinnekopje, Dec 23, 2008
  8. azz2811

azz2811

ok thanks. i herd that Slax was good has anyone tried that on there AAO?

azz2811, Dec 23, 2008
  9. azz2811

KillerStephen

KillerStephen, Dec 23, 2008
  10. azz2811

RockDoctor

If I knew that, I wouldn't have four different Linux distros installed on my AA1 right now.

RockDoctor, Dec 23, 2008
  11. azz2811

Nambleruk

Happy with Ubuntueee here. Seems a good fit for the aao.

Nambleruk, Dec 27, 2008
  12. azz2811

azz2811

Ok thanks I was thinking of getting the proper ubuntu considering I have the harddrive version thanks for every ones comments

azz2811, Dec 28, 2008
  13. azz2811

lotus49

This partly comes down to the usual religious wars over operating systems. It's partly a philosophical issue ie open source (eg Linux) vs closed source (eg XP), but most people, particularly those with a Windows background, rarely care about this.

If you want good software for nothing, you cannot beat Linux. If you want no viruses and almost no other malware, choose Linux. If you want an OS that doesn't fight you all the way and crash every other day, choose Linux.

However, there are (I am sorry to say) some big advantages to using XP. The main one is that it supports all the hardware (OK so does Linpus, but Linpus is probably the suckiest version of Linux in the history of Linux). The other is that if you are wedded to a particular piece of software, especially games, they will mostly not run on Linux. As far as I know, there is no Linux distro that supports all the One's hardware without a degree a tweaking that is often somewhat intimidating to Linux newbies.

I am a very big supporter of Linux and Ubuntu in particular. I have installed Ubuntu on at least 20 machines and until I got my One, I had never had any real problems getting all the hardware working. Unfortunately Ubuntu does not support the One very well at all. With various tweaks, it is possible to get almost all the hardware working but it is not trivial. Getting XP running on my son's One (I wouldn't use Windows if Bill Gates personally came round to my house and begged on bended knee) was very easy.

The One is extremely good value and I use mine a lot, but the Linux support from Acer sucks completely and has been a huge letdown. I can only cast envious glances in the direction of the Dell mini 9 crowd. Dell had the sense to ensure that Ubuntu ran on the Mini 9. I heartily wish that Acer had never bothered with the crippled heap of crap that is Linpus.

lotus49, Dec 28, 2008
  14. azz2811

exwannabe

On the flip side, Windows is probably dubious at best on the 8G SSD.

I am running Xubuntu because the desktop is lighter than Gnome/KDE and for my brief 1 day on it am quite happy.

If I wanted a PDA like desktop I would probably prefer netbook remix over limpus.

If somebody doesn't like to fiddle with the OS, then clearly limpus is the OS of choice on the 110's.

I might try Fedora tomorrow, mainly to see if the Acer Limpus team dropped any improvements into the Fedora base code (which I suspect is the case, but it's hard to find out w/o running it).

Yeah, I should have got a 150 so I could just flip between them.

exwannabe, Dec 31, 2008
Ask a Question