Where are the Help files?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Cushie, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Cushie

Cushie

I am trying to get used to Linpus and have a little experience of other Linus OSs. I click on 'help' and I get a Pdf reader saying it can't find the Help files. Do I have them installed? If I have I wonder where they are? What is the name of the package manager ( equivalent to Synaptic) that I could run to check what programmes are installed and also use to install new ones. I have the Xfce right click menu available but it is not listed there. Any help would be appreciated.

Cushie, Apr 10, 2009
  2. Cushie

barrie

Hi Cushie,

1. Acer PDF help doc should be in your documents folder, mine was there on the new box. If not you can get it here.
    http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/service.do?L ... 1486462948

The file manager "Thunar" Right click >system

Right click the desktop > open add/remove software this takes a little time to fully load. Once opened you are in the package manager and can search to see what is available what you have loaded and running etc.

barrie, Apr 11, 2009
  3. Cushie

Cushie

Many thanks for you reply, Barrie, it was certainly a help to get into my system.
    I found two files which extracted to a pdf, 'Manual_English' and 'User_Guide_Eng' similar to the booklets supplied with the netbook. They are both useful and handy to have filed but not exactly the detailed help system I was hoping to find. I extracted them into 'Documents' folder where I can access them Ok. However the 'Help?' icon on the desktop does not pick them up.
    If I could find info on that link and what file that is looking for so that I could download that file or relocate it.

I found 'Add Remove software' ( called 'pirut' software manager) link OK but sadly it asks for 'root' password which I don't remember ever being asked to supply one when I first booted up. Nor was I asked for a 'user' name either. So I try the 'user' password and it does not like that one; after a few tries it offers to change my password but only if I know the original. This is another area where some help would be appreciated.

Cushie, Apr 11, 2009
  4. Cushie

barrie

Hi Cushie,

To change your password open terminal with Alt + F2 and click on run (i.e. When your normal desktop is visible, holding Alt and F2 together will open the Run program and show "terminal".)then type

sudo bash

passwd

make a new password.

It is a long time since I used the standard desktop, sorry can’t remember exactly what that bottom right corner help icon brought up/looked for. :(

barrie, Apr 11, 2009
  5. Cushie

Cushie

Many thanks for the help Barrie, got the root password and the 'software manager' going fine, most appreciate your assistance.
    Hopefully I will to find an answer to the 'Help' icon file reference in due course.

Cushie, Apr 11, 2009
  6. Cushie

barrie

Hi Cushie,

You are welcome, and maybe the help Icon brought up the Xfce 4.4 user guide. If you right click the desktop in the new menu you will see Help listed third from the bottom it brings up the above.

Or navigate here

/usr/share/xfce4/doc/C/index.html

barrie, Apr 11, 2009
  7. Cushie

Cushie

Thanks again, Barrie. The help links are obviously not configured properly, but I found the index.html in the root file manager (sudo thunar) and most of the xfce help links are there. (only the last two are missing)
    Incidently I accidentally found the Usermanual pdf in the root '/' directory, another link not configured. Another excersize will be to correct those links.

Cushie, Apr 13, 2009
  8. Cushie

barrie

Hi Cushie,

I can not offer an explanation as to why the locations are different on my box, but am pleased to hear you have found there navigational path, as I would have assumed Acer would configure all to be the same.
    But one thing I have discovered is your location can seem to influence certain things regarding the AA0.

barrie, Apr 13, 2009
  9. Cushie

libssd

I found the Acer docs to be almost useless, although on my AA1, the ? button on the desktop does in fact open the Aspire one Series Application Manual.

That said, if you seriously want to learn what's going on, you need to install the Linux man pages which, mysteriously, are not part of the standard delivery Linpus. Unfortunately, I didn't keep detailed notes of how I did this, but as I recall, I started by googling for "install man pages fedora". Of all the printed guides that I have found, my favorites are Fedora Linux Toolbox by Negus and Caen, and Linux Phrasebook by Scott Granneman. They're both relatively inexpensive and well organized. Although I own both, either will do, and choosing is a matter of personal preference.

Once you know a few basics, tweaking Linux can be very rewarding, but it can also become a time sink.

libssd, Apr 15, 2009
  10. Cushie

Cushie

Thanks for those useful references.'libssd' and I will check the installation of the 'man' files too.
    I have downloaded the current 'UK" Manual & the User Guide and found another already in '/' can you suggest a way to edit the '...link' which must be referring to a different version of those files?

Cushie, Apr 16, 2009
Ask a Question