Where have my files gone? Help!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by SarahM, Mar 10, 2009.

1. SarahM

SarahM

Hi everyone. I have just bought myself an acer aspire one, but have come up with a problem. The first day it worked great, but when I switched on the second day, all the icons from the "File" section on the display page had vanished! I'm completely baffled.
    The other three catagories on the opening page (Connect, Work and Fun) are fine.
    I am not exactly an expert with computers, and so far, all the help pages on the web I have looked at have left me baffled.

The unit I have was a display model, and appears to be in perfect condition. The other thing I am unable to do is set my own password - as the dialogue box in settings asks me for the existing password first!

Any help/advice greatly received!

Sarah

SarahM, Mar 10, 2009
  2. SarahM

barrie

Hi Sarah,

I suspect as this was a display model the shop where you purchased it had already entered a password.

If you are in the UK and bought it from Curry’s or Dixon’s then I know the password is curry’s as a friend of mine had the same issue with one she bought from them. :D

I would take it back to the shop and explain this as you will be extremely limited in what you can do. Many things need root access/ permission and for this you need the password.

I have seen many threads regarding password issues, just type in the search words “Password confusion” and look for posts by kapinouwi.

But I feel taking the Acer back to the store is your first option.

barrie, Mar 10, 2009
Ask a Question