Where is SIMPLE FILE SHARING

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jackdashack, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

Can anyone tell me definitively how to get SIMPLE FILE SHARING to appear in my FOLDER OPTIONS?

I have read all sorts of ways, but one in particular just got me in real trouble. Here it is copied and pasted from another post.
    ==================
    I think I have done it this time, rendered my Aspire useless. Here's what I was trying to do. SIMPLE FILE SHARING was not showing under FOLDER OPTIONS. So Googleing the problem seemed to point to needing to go into SAFE MODE and give permissions, which I don't understand as I just did a FULL RECOVERY and I was shown to be the Administrator.

Nevertheless, I went to SAFE MODE and did some tweaking on the permissions, being a new area I'd not seen I don't think I changed anything critical. When I booted back up it reported PAGING FILE TOO SMALL, the next WINDOW told me where to change that.
    ==================
    What it reported after the PAGING FILE TOO SMALL was that it wouldn't initialize EXPLORER.EXE and would go no further. It would not even work from SAFE MODE

So for the 2nd time in 3 days I did another full recovery. Now done. It has Service Pack 3 but shows no SIMPLE FILE SHARING. Now before all this it showed it because I used the sharing between computers. Why is it not there this time and why was it there the first time on the same machine? It's maddening I tell ya .... maddening! lol :cry: Does anyone know how to get this to allow SIMPLE FILE SHARING. I see why it's called "SIMPLE" now. One small thing, when I open network connections that 1394 Connection is not there. But what has that to do with it? It's disabled anyway on my other machine and it shares files so that's a bust.

I am clueless and need some input if anyone know! Most appreciated. jack

jackdashack, Mar 8, 2012
  2. jackdashack

Swarvey Moderator

Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab -> Scroll to the bottom and select "Use Simple File Sharing

At least that's how I always did it on XP, you might have to run the network setup wizard from the common tasks panel in a my computer window first.

Swarvey, Mar 8, 2012
  3. jackdashack

jackdashack

First thanks sir for your time and effort. Yes, I am aware of where SIMPLE FILE SHARING is and always has been, but for me, in the last 2 recoveries in the last 3 days on this Aspire One it does not show in the Folder Options. However, I did by discovery find success on the latter suggestion about an hour ago and was very happy. Should I have not discovered it your answer would have lead me to it anyway! So therefore thanks again for taking time to help the hopeless! ":-D jack

jackdashack, Mar 8, 2012
Ask a Question