Where is the Acersystem User Guide?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ColinT, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ColinT

ColinT

My new AAO was bought in Currys on 5 December and was not opened until Christmas. The printed Quick Guide (p7) says that the Application Manual and the AcerSystem User Guide are both preloaded on my netbook, but when I look in the File Manager under Aspire_ONE_UserManual_EN.pdf, I find only the Application Manual, which I already have in hard copy.

The box had been opened, including all the plastic bags, and when I look at the properties for Aspire_ONE_UserManual_EN.pdf, I find the file was modified on 3 December, two days before I bought the netbook. There is nothing in the Trash Can. Very odd!

So my questions are:
    Should there be a separate User Manual?
    Can I download it from somewhere? (Can't see it on the Acer site)
    Should I ask for a replacement from Currys?

Any help or advice very gratefully received.

ColinT

ColinT, Dec 29, 2008
  2. ColinT

david-one-uk

ColinT,

You and I have the same issue. I have a linpusAAO and would be interested to "read" more about this little machine and the OS. I've mooched around the acer sites and have drawn a blank I'm afraid. Being a recent PC user, I'm used to using the help functions and wizards with MS OSs and can't fathom it out at all!

It seems to me that Acer expect the users just to sit and enjoy the basic interface and not get involved in anything else. For example.....I'd quite like to use the card reader and since it's just one slot.....how am I supposed to insert cards? Sound ludicrously simple (I realise) but simply chucking in a card isn't really my style, I tried 2 different types of camera card and neither seemed to spring the system into action......

I really would like a full user guide.....first thing I do with any new gadget is to read all the chapters on things I might like to do (and know I can)......what's going on.....even if you buy a mobile phone with an OS as interesting as a peanut, at least you get INSTRUCTIONS!!!

My box was entirely sealed and complete.....it simply doesn't ship with a manual.....it's all very well EXPECTING folk to "find" it somewhere in the factory installation....but how's about putting in the start-up guide a quick walk-through of how to access it.....

f.w.i.w. these little computers are selling like hot cakes in the Jan sales.....how is anyone going to get the best out of it.....GUESS? Rant over...

Dave

david-one-uk, Dec 29, 2008
  3. ColinT

stoic

I too expected a larger manual, but have found none.
    I wanted to find out more about the snooze function, and hibernate and suspend.

stoic, Dec 30, 2008
  4. ColinT

devondave

The user documentation that comes with the acer (linpus) is pretty useless... there are no downloads from acer or linpus on decent documentation. If you do download the one from the acer site, its the same as the one shipped in the box (hopeless). Do not know if the XP version is any better.

I feel to get any improvement in support from acer or linpus on the acer aspire (nice hardware, but lousey support and documentation) there needs to be a sustained campaign to these organisations to improve things.
    :)

devondave, Dec 30, 2008
  5. ColinT

shelito

I agree with devondave regarding the only way we will see some satisfactory customer service forthcoming will be by causing it to happen...to wit: who shall begin this campaign of composing verbiage to this effect and the gathering of signatures? would love to-but haven't NEAR enough time for the undertaking...I know-SCHMUCK!

shelito, Dec 31, 2008
  6. ColinT

mm9351

Not sure about the Linux version, but my XP version shipped with two files under the "Book" Folder on the hard drive: a detailed 52 page user guide and 12 page quick guide, both in pdf format. The full guide is quite informative. Hope this helps.

mm9351, Jan 2, 2009
Ask a Question