where the heck is my eRecovery program?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by ebonyruffles, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles

Just bought one of these little netbooks a few days ago, model AOA 110-1588. I can't find the eRecovery program anywhere. The documentation said there's a desktop icon but there isn't. I looked in the start menu, all programs, add/remove programs etc. Maybe not installed yet & still on one of the discs? I have the XP disc & the system disc.
    The reason I'm asking is I may want to return it for something with a larger screen & want to return it to factory condition. I uninstalled the programs I didn't want, such as Google desktop, Microsoft Works & installed a few things such as Firefox. Also my name is on there as owner when I activated Windows & I want a clean machine should I decide to return it. The eRecovery program looks straightforward if only I knew how to access it. I've done factory restores in the past but this is my first Acer product & I'm kind of stuck. Any help is most appreciated!

ebonyruffles, Jan 27, 2009
  2. ebonyruffles

Firo

You can use ALT+F10 key while booting, which starts recovery process

Firo, Jan 27, 2009
  3. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles

ALT + F10 results in a regular start up. Also tried to boot from the XP disc & that also went to the desktop. I think I got a lemon! Funny I can't find the eRecovery or Empowering Technology anywhere it's supposed to be. Any other suggestions?

4. ebonyruffles

jeremysdad

You may need to download and install it from the Acer website. Free download...should get you setup to working restore easily.
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/no ... e_150.html

Just choose eRecovery from the list, download it, and you should be set. Good luck! :)

jeremysdad, Jan 27, 2009
  5. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles

Got the following message when I tried to install eRecovery off the website: "Not D2D System, eRecovery cannot be installed." My BIOS says D2D is enabled. How can that be possible if it's not a D2D System?
    Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but System Restore won't work either. I've had this machine only a few days & have had nothing but trouble setting everything up. I'll probably end up paying to get it reformatted with a fresh install, which irks me, as I've done reformats in the past, but never with an Acer.
    PS just noticed the download was for an A150. Downloaded the A110 package & got the same end result, not a D2D system.

6. ebonyruffles

jeremysdad

Do you have an external drive that you can run the disks with? That's the only other suggestion I have. You didn't somehow delete your recovery partition, did you?

jeremysdad, Jan 27, 2009
  7. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles

I wouldn't know how to delete a partition even if I wanted to. I have an external DVD drive hooked up but can't get the CDs to boot. I can view the files but that's all. Everything I do results in a regular startup. Between programs not being where they are supposed to be, not being able to get system restore to run & not being able to get to any repair options at all, I think the machine is a dud. Maybe I'm the dud, LOL!
    I just want to remove my name from appearing in the system properties box. Like if there was a new owner I don't want my name on there. Does that make sense?

8. ebonyruffles

jeremysdad

Have you changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot the DVD drive before the HDD? Hit F12 when the bios is showing, and select the external drive to boot from. Running out of ideas...

jeremysdad, Jan 27, 2009
  9. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles

Yes, I did that bunch of times & still got a regular start up. I think I'll take it in to where I bought it & let them handle it. My return policy is only 14 days & I'm getting nowhere. Thanks for your help.

10. ebonyruffles

jeremysdad

Have you tried a different drive? Sounds like the disks aren't being read properly. You might try waiting until you hear the drive spin up before you hit enter to boot from it. I had an issue with that a couple of times with a different Windows disk...

jeremysdad, Jan 27, 2009
  11. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles

The laptop has no optical drive so I'm using my external one. It's fine. I just burned a song to a blank CD to test it & also played several music CDs. My patience is done for now & I need a break so I'll check back later. Thanks again.

12. ebonyruffles

Growler

Do you have the 8GB SSD version? If so, you do not have a D2D partition, and cannot run eRecovery... as it isn't installed, and can't do anything anyway.

If you want to restore to factory condition, you'll have to use an external DVD drive and the two recovery discs that came with your Acer. Sorry!

I learned the same lesson the hard way with my first aa1... but Fry's took it back anyway (faulty fan) even though the install wasn't back to factory (I did create a new, untouched admin user first, and deleted my old user files before exchanging it); then the _very first thing I did with my new SSD WinXP acer was create a backup image using PING -- even before I booted it the first time -- now I have a virgin backup of the 8GB SSD version of my aa1. Still... it's not something you think of the first time you open the box. :p

Growler, Jan 31, 2009
  13. ebonyruffles

ebonyruffles

I already returned it. And yes, I got rid of my personal info first. Can't be too careful. Thanks for everyone's help.

ebonyruffles, Jan 31, 2009
  14. ebonyruffles

jmr166

i have started a thread on this myself, my factory xp machine would not respond to alt f10 then when i needed then now after i did full restore from a recovery cd. e-recovery was and is installed but the only way i can access it is from windows which aint much help with a windows loading crash! the 5 gb partition was and still is there. has anyone with a xp factory machine tried to acccess it via alt f10?? has it worked?? sorry to jump on your thread but similiar problem.

james

jmr166, Feb 11, 2009
Ask a Question