Where to find the kernel

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Grooving tony, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Grooving tony

Grooving tony

Hi i've looked through through the forum but i can't find this answer. I'm trying to install a cisco vpn client i've downloaded from my university and it needs to know where the kernel is. I've tried /sys/kernel and it can't find the make command.
    I'm also a complete noob with linux so does anyone know how to install eclipse on the AAO, i need it for my course and i got the netbook to work on programs on the train in.
    Thanks for any help.

Grooving tony, Mar 4, 2009
  2. Grooving tony

fweigel

Don't do that!

Most of what you need for Cisco VPN is included already

sudo yum install openvpn vpnc

will get the rest.

man vpnc

for instructions. Note that you will have to use cisco-decrypt to prepare the pre-shared key. When you want to connect:

sudo vpnc
    Enter IPSec gateway address: 10.0.0.1
    Enter IPSec ID for 10.0.0.1: XX_IPSec
    Enter IPSec secret for [email protected]: XX_*3EDr$ (from cisco-decrypt)
    Enter username for 10.0.0.1: User
    Enter password for [email protected]: *pass$#

establishes the connection (junked out responses to protect me). Note that all this is scriptable (see the man page).

sudo vpnc-disconnect

to tear down the connection when you are finished with it. For security reasons, you obviously do not want another active connection (or your machine may be a "breach").

Now, Acer seems to have put some VPN integration pieces into their Network Manager, but I don't really know (or care) how they work. A few scripts (like the above) and the job is done.

fweigel, Mar 5, 2009
  3. Grooving tony

piivo

Hi, im a complete linux noob and i am trying to connect to a vpn client from my university. i tried to follow your instructions, however without success...
    Enter IPSec gateway address: 10.0.0.1
    Enter IPSec ID for 10.0.0.1: XX_IPSec
    Enter IPSec secret for [email protected]:
    Enter username for 10.0.0.1: [email protected]
    Enter password for [email protected]@10.0.0.1:
    vpnc: can't open /dev/net/tun, check that it is either device char 10 200 or (with DevFS) a symlink to ../misc/net/tun (not misc/net/tun): No such device
    vpnc: can't initialise tunnel interface: No such device
    Now, i just pretty much copied the information you gave above and I dont know what most of it means, especially the part about cisco-decrypting the pre-shared key. I am assuming we are talking about the key, you were refering to the key my uni gave me together with the username. generally i couldnt figure out what gateway i should use etc. furthermore i have attempted to open the vpn client, that is available for download on my unisite, but access was denied.
    I know this all sounds very confused and probably to unprecise, but if anybody could give me a tip, as to what I should be looking for, that would be some real help
    thanks

piivo, May 4, 2009
  4. Grooving tony

fweigel

Try:

cd /dev/net
    sudo mknod tun c 10 200

This should create the tun device. I am not sure why you don't have it already, though.

For the other, CISCO vpn should have given you a "configuration file". The shared secret is in that file -- after decoding, its the first password to use (use your private password as the second password).

fweigel, May 9, 2009
Ask a Question