Which 5mm HDD??

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by The One, Sep 25, 2008.

1. The One

olavxxx

you are my hero now!

or.... when you have posted before/after :)

olavxxx, Sep 29, 2008
  2. The One

The One

No benchmarks today i'm afraid, i just sanded a little too much off the cable - bugger.

New cables on thier way.

The One, Sep 29, 2008
  3. The One

olavxxx

scotch tape?

olavxxx, Sep 30, 2008
  4. The One

The One

lol nah, i went through the copper :(

The One, Sep 30, 2008
  5. The One

ipearl

wow,... what did you grind it with ???
    A Dremel ???
    Thats some hard core sanding.
    Hope you get the replacement soon.

ipearl, Oct 5, 2008
  6. The One

The One

right, new ribbon cables arrived quite promptly from Hong Kong, 3M stickies at the ready and within 30 mins the old SSD was ghosted to a USB stick, ripped out, HDD installed, booted with no probs and ghosted the image back to the HDD from the USB stick. (I have an external USB CDROM which makes life loads easier!)

Benchmarks - hmm, to say I was dissapointed would be an understatement. According to HDDTach the SSD was 33.4Mb/s on a quick test, the HDD was 34.6Mb/s ! BUT the system DOES feel faster. It was nearly 1am when i did this so maybe i need to check drivers etc, but i will post more accurate figures and screenshots tonight.

Mike :)

The One, Oct 8, 2008
  7. The One

ipearl

thats about right for the HD.
    Its the way the SSD is being red by Windows that causes it to go slow.

ipearl, Oct 8, 2008
  8. The One

The One

ok, heres the results...

First the 8Gb SSD...

[​IMG]

And, the 30Gb HDD...

[​IMG]

Although the results are very similar, I can say without doubt that the HDD is much faster for everything, its a perfectly usable little system and I love it :)

Hope this info is of some use for those thinking about replacing the SSD, I'm glad I did it :cool:

The One, Oct 8, 2008
  9. The One

zipolite

Help!

Have also damaged the zif cable sanding it down...Have a 60gig Samsung HDD and would welcome suggestions on which replacement zif cable will fit and where to buy etc (I'm in Australia).

I also have a problem with the connector on the HDD..the small black plastic fitting with tiny holes came off and I don't know how to reattach it...it's nothing like the fastener on the SSD or mobo connector...do i need it or will the cable hold on the HDD without a fastener?

My GF is p1ssed off cos her toy is out of action and I need help quick. Would appreciate advice on where to go from here..

cheers

zipolite, Oct 9, 2008
  10. The One

ipearl

What samsung was that?
    B/c I dont think there are too many 60GB samsung with a flip connectore you suppose to just slide it in there.
    Not take the retainer off.

ipearl, Oct 10, 2008
  11. The One

zipolite

My apologies, was late last night when I posted..It's a a Samsung SpinPoint N2 HS06THB - hard drive - 60 GB.

I can't track down a replacement cable here in Western Australia so looks like I'll have to order off Ebay from Hong Kong..
    I'd like to order a cable that will fit without the need to modify it or sand it down but not sure which one/s to order.
    Does the length pose any problem? the original is 6.5cm and I can't track down any this size.

Not sure how to explain this but the black attachment that came off is a thin bit of slightly curved plastic with tiny holes that run the length of it ...the length is the same size as the width of the cable. Don't know if this is an essential component but it must be there for a reason.

I tried Plan B by refitting the SSD but it doesn't pick it up so I'm pretty certain the cable is stuffed..spose I should mention that I also installed and extra 512mb of RAM ...that shows up in the BIOS so I'm guessing all is OK with that installation.

One final question...When I do eventually get a replacement cable which way do I need to install? ...is it silver(connection) facing the label side of the drive or the other way?

Thanks for your help..

zipolite, Oct 10, 2008
  12. The One

ipearl

Both samsung and Toshiba are Silver part away from Label
    [​IMG]
    If you count the fold u get the right facing direction.

ipearl, Oct 10, 2008
  13. The One

cicici

help!! i installed a toshiba 30gb and my computer can't detect it. I made sure that all connection is correct, and I tried both way. But the BIOS is not detecting it. What did i do wrong??!! :(

cicici, Oct 11, 2008
  14. The One

cicici

can anyone help!! i used the hard drive from zune. My acer can't detect the hard drive. But it detects it only during windows xp installation.

cicici, Nov 1, 2008
  15. The One

ipearl

You are saying your Acer cant see the HD but yet you can install XP on it ?
    Please be more specific.
    Dont you see the HD in Bios ?

ipearl, Nov 1, 2008
  16. The One

cicici

well, i removed the hard drive from the zune. Then, i plugged that in. Computer boots up, says no bootable device. So, i restarted and went to the Bios. It does not detect the Hard drive. However, if i boot from the Windows xp install disk, it (windows xp install) will see the hard drive (b/c it tells me the correct size, etc), and it installs too. But when i boot the computer up again (without the windows xp disk), it will not find the HD.

Any help?? Thanks!!

cicici, Nov 2, 2008
  17. The One

cornholio

wow i'm having the same EXACT problem. i am totally out of ideas on what the problem is besides the hard drive itself is dead.

cornholio, Jan 8, 2009
  18. The One

ipearl

Try making a Acronis Boot Disk and let accronis fix the special sectors.
    Maybe Zune locks the HD like the Xbox locked theirs.
    Pretty sure MS locks their HD on all their devices.

ipearl, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question