which distro / best distro / distro comparison

Discussion in 'Linux' started by qbic2005, Mar 29, 2009.

1. qbic2005

qbic2005

@donec (&others ;) ) : Thanks for your contribution, but lets try not only to put the first impression of our new toys here.

Try to play around with it a bit so that at least you can give a representative opinion/feedback.

Not always true, I'm a gentoo addict if it comes to my desktop machine .... if I tried to install that on the AAO I would still be compiling packets, instead of reading these poste :cool:
    In general you are absolutely right, but that should not keep us from exploring new stuff if you feel into it.

That is exactly my point :D

qbic2005, May 13, 2009
  2. qbic2005

m4xr8d

Donec.. thank you for proving my point. What one considers best is not what another considers best. Learn a little more Linux please.

pling.. I have no idea how you are trying to get some point across, as in most of your posts.

m4xr8d, May 14, 2009
  3. qbic2005

pling

I think that the chances are that donec knows more Linux than you as well as having better manners. He didn't say anything to indicate the slightest degree of technical incomprehension, he merely pointed out - politely, in a friendly, conversational way - that your argument was simplistic.

Then it's fortunate that I'm here to help you!

That's me pointing out that berating other posters for supposedly not taking into account that choice is ultimately subjective and then insisting on comparing pointless framerate figures, is not consistent. You're doing the thing that you were criticizing a few moments before, which makes you look silly.

pling, May 14, 2009
  4. qbic2005

donec

I would think there is someone out there that could tell you the same thing. I don't suggest that I am an expert in Linux and I don't try and tell others what they should do or how they should do it. I give my perspective and allow others to either accept it or not as it is their choice. I am learning more every day because I use Linux.

m4xr8d....Learn a little more Linux please.

donec, May 14, 2009
  5. qbic2005

NeilMonday

I know 8000 linux. How much do you know? :geek:

NeilMonday, May 15, 2009
  6. qbic2005

donec

:D I know that doesn't make any sense to me. :D

donec, May 16, 2009
  7. qbic2005

adgud

i've been using linpus quite long, as no distro was appealing to me (tried fedora, crunchbung, newer linpus, opensuse, kuki, ubuntu 9.04 unr), and finally found linux4one (http://linux4one.it). i removed that funky unr desktop, loaded sickboy's kernel, made minor tweaks and it's been running well since then. boot time is around 45s, everything but mic & wifi switch is working fine (camera, both card readers, wifi, wifi led, suspend. sound is a little bit quiet, works on battery life is about 2hrs.
    i'm satisfied as far and can fully recommend this one.

adgud, May 16, 2009
  8. qbic2005

pling

8000 is about the current number of Ubuntu based distributions...

pling, May 16, 2009
  9. qbic2005

pling

I think that is probably good advice. I'm using Crunchbang myself, but it's a little insane - it's the OS equivalent of one those self-assembly sports cars that are designed for weekend racing. It's a fun tinkerer's toy but not the best way to get from A to B.

pling, May 16, 2009
  10. qbic2005

Frits

I was using Xubuntu 9.0.4 for 2 weeks, everything worked, exept wifi led. Used the jaunty modules backport option, and then also wifi led worked.
    I have a a110, with 1,5 gb ram and a 8 gb ssd.
    Unfortunaly, my ssd crashed, and he is now in the repairshop....I installed Xubuntu because i was having trouble with Jaunty unr, but it wasn't due to unr, but with the ssd.

Still i liked Xubuntu, was working very good.

Frits, May 16, 2009
  11. qbic2005

GlenMH

Jaunty UNR for me - I have been running it for a couple of weeks now and the only setup changes I have made is the backports module for the wireless LED and the acer fan speed module.

The first install I did ran like a dog and after a bit of reading on here, discovered that ext3 was not the best file system for the SSD, and the autopartioner did not allocate enough swap to hibernate properly. So a new install with a bigger swap and an ext2 filesystem and the AAO flies! Certainly as responsive as Linpus and I prefer the interface.

As someone who struggled with Linpus coming from many years of XP use, I think it is fantastic - access to network drives and setup of network printing took a couple of minutes and it all works seamlessly - as it should.

Thoroughly recommended.

GlenMH, May 20, 2009
  12. qbic2005

shadow of the locust

n00b.

i know 15013 :ugeek:

shadow of the locust, May 20, 2009
  13. qbic2005

pling

That's excellent - you mght want to write a How-To post summarizing what you did and post pinters to it here and in Ubuntu's own forum.

pling, May 20, 2009
  14. qbic2005

napsterking

I've tried a couple of Distros myself, Some i liked, some i did not

gOS Space 2.9
    Good resolution, based on Ubuntu, No OOTB wifi

Vixta Linux
    Good resolution, based on Ubuntu, No OOTB wifi, Eyecandy

Dreamlinux
    Wifi works OOTB on D150 AAO, low resolution, can't figure out how to install
    Devs working on a acer dreamlinux distro

Acer Puppy Linux Distro *CUSTOM*
    Wifi works OOTB on D150 AAO, Good resolution, can't figure out how to install
    Touchpad as mouse click does not work.

Other than that, I would use either Acer puppy or Dreamlinux

napsterking, May 22, 2009
  15. qbic2005

libssd

Could you elaborate on:
    Do you have wireless connectivity? If so, were any tweaks to Ubuntu required?

libssd, Jun 13, 2009
  16. qbic2005

libssd

I have experimentally installed Ubuntu 9.04 desktop and 9.04 Netbook Remix. The 9.04 desktop installer was much cleaner, and I like the UI better, but wireless doesn't work. NBR seems faster, and wireless works, but I'm not at all thrilled with the look.

So, why does wireless work in one and not the other? I tried the various AA1 fixes described at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AA1/Fixes but couldn't get wireless to work under Ubuntu 9.04 desktop.

Suggestions?

libssd, Jun 13, 2009
  17. qbic2005

libssd

I wrote too soon; wireless is working with Ubuntu desktop 9.04.

libssd, Jun 13, 2009
  18. qbic2005

libssd

After re-installing Ubuntu with more swap space, and changing the visual effects setting from normal to none, performance is much more sprightly. I think I'm falling in love... :D

libssd, Jun 13, 2009
  19. qbic2005

kevinrs

I'm using Linux Mint 7 Gloria on my AAO A150. I have installed the fixes to get the wifi light working. Otherwise it is as installed.

I will have to look at the fan fix.

Overall I like Mint and as I only have 512k memory then Linux is the best way as I haven't yet installed more memory.

kevinrs, Jun 13, 2009
  20. qbic2005

libssd

Can you describe exactly how you did this? I tried the steps described at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AA1/Fixes but something must be missing.

I tried adding these lines to the end of /etc/sysctl.conf:

dev.wifi0.ledpin=3
    dev.wifi0.softled=1

When I ran sudo sysctl -p I got an error message referencing these two lines. So, something must need to be defined elsewhere.WiFi is working, I'm just not getting the flashing yellow light.

libssd, Jun 13, 2009
Ask a Question